Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cygnus Wall Project? .......maybe......definitely

daemon

A Proper Project? Maybe?

So, not normally being one for massively long imaging sessions - a fondness for sleep being my major reason - I have committed myself to going long for once.

I'm really impressed by some of the amazing images of the Cygus Wall that are out there, and I think it is a target that really shows the benefit of long integration times.

Therefore I decided this week to seek out the wall with my William Optics GT-102 and used NINA to aquire it for me. The tricky thing being that I can't seem to find a NINA target for the wall, apart from the "Golf of Mexico" - sic - within NGC7000. So instead I had to resort to entering RA/DEC coordinates manually (does anyone else do this with NINA? I'd be interested to learn of your techniques). The plate solving took a good while and seemed to fail, but NINA finally seemed to settle on an area it thought was good and imaging began.

I am thinking of doing this target proper justice by also going long on aquiring SII and OIII data when conditions permit. Some of the SHO images out there are amazing. I know I won't be able to match their quality but I can have some fun trying!

So for now, here is my first interim stack of Ha data. Just 57 x 120" Ha exposures, calibrated only with Flats and Dark flats. I am hoping this can be the basis for a final image combining all the channels into a decent colour representation of this lovely part of the sky. Suggestions very welcome!! 🙂

• Scope: William Optics GT-102
  • Mount: S/W AZ/EQ6 GT-Pro
  • 57 * 120" Ha Subs
  • 30 * Flats - 30 * Dark Flats
  • More to come.....hopefully......

Let me know if you think I am wasting my time!! 🙂

CygnusWall_Hydrogen_alpha_1.thumb.jpg.4087f219924337e7c5ac4e1190420327.jpg

• Like 9

Yes looks very promising!

I also like my sleep....   so although I have no observatory, I've automated my set up - plate solving and auto-focus being the main aspects. Everything is controlled through NINAs advanced sequencer tool, and if I'm pretty much 100% certain it's not going to rain, I'll just leave it and go to bed. I did manage a 12 hour session last winter on that basis.  I guess you have to image at home, and be confident on security to do it, mind.

(I have to add... although I do sleep, they don't tend to be my best nights, you start hearing rain even when it's not there!)

• Like 2

So, back to my Cygnus Wall project and I managed to grab some OIII and SII data to combine with the previously captured Ha data to create a colour version.

The updated details are:-

• Scope: William Optics GT-102
  • Mount: S/W AZ/EQ6 GT-Pro
  • Camera: ZWO ASI1600MM
  • Acquisition: NINA 
  • 60 * 120" Ha Subs
  • 55 * 120" OIII Subs
  • 31 * 120" SII Subs
  • 30 * Flats - 30 * Dark Flats per channel
  • Just under 5 hours total integration
  • Stacked in APP and processed in Pixinsight

I'd be really happy to get some feedback - especially thoughts on how much data you think would be needed to really do this target justice.

I plan to get more data, but I'm curious as to when adding more will not really add any benefit. 

Also, my processing skills leave a lot to be desired, so feedback also welcome - I think there is what looks like amp glow at the bottom of the image - maybe my background extraction could have been better.

Thanks for looking!

Steve

CygWall_LRGB_1.thumb.jpg.a74c633218d01adf29331a470e933e12.jpg

Edited by daemon
Mistake in acquisition details

• daemon changed the title to Cygnus Wall Project? .......maybe......definitely

A cropped version of the last image with saturation increased - may have gone too far.

I have a little more data to add to this, but also planning some more sessions to get additional subs to eke out a bit more detail.

CygWall_LRGB_2.thumb.jpg.15f5d695f84c2d3fcb5ecb7846c361a9.jpg