Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power supply for EQ5

Mr Spock

I finally got fed up with the huge battery pack for the EQ5. Not only is it clumsy huge, it's tricky to change batteries. Beyond fiddly! Plus the batteries take an age to charge.

So I bought one of these: Power Bank 10000mAh Mobile Phone Portable Charger External Battery Pack with 2 USB 2.4 A Outputs and USB C Input £9.99, and a USB to DC Power Cable - USB 2.0 for 2.1mm x 5.5mm 5v 2A 2000mA 0.5m £2.33 - both from Amazon. Works perfectly! Attached it with some Velcro so it doesn't fall off and job's a good 'un as they say.

D5H_09862048.thumb.jpg.ea8b74d6aeef9add028f4be5dff3ca3e.jpg

Welcome to this century :tongue2:

• Like 4

No more "1970's doorbell batteries" for you then!😁

I use a Celestron USB powerbank with mine, it's only 1/2 yours at 5000mAh but it has a red-light torch and easily lasts the whole session. Re-charging takes a couple of hrs.

Web capture_1-11-2023_145231_www.cliftoncameras.co.uk.jpeg

• Like 1

Brilliant idea and not one I’d have thought of. I’ve used a lead acid jump starter in the past but mostly because I knew I could power the scope mount via a cigarette lighter to DC cable. I’d never thought that there was such a thing as a USB to DC power cable or that it could ever output enough to power a mount. I’ve actually got a 13,000 mAh lithium ion jump starter with USB outputs in the wife’s car so I could always give that a try. What a great idea. 

• Like 1

I use a mobile phone power brick to power my Quark but never thought about using one to power my eq5. When my stash of normal batteries runs out I'll try using the USB power bricks I already have.

• 3 weeks later...