Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which tripod

Hi All. I have an AZ75 mount on order and am wondering about tripods. I’m looking at either a Berlebach Uni 28, or a Stellalyra carbon fibre. The SL is rated at taking 40kg and weighs in at 2.5kg, so is ideal for carrying about, but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this tripod? The Berlebach has plenty of good reviews, so I know it’s a great tripod, but it’s a lot heavier to carry about. Any views would be most welcome? Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

That's the Rowan AZ75?

With a lovely mount like that, I would unquestionably opt for the Berlebach UNI. Carbon fiber tripods like the one that you mentioned (I've owned a few) might be able to hold __kg, but they can only hold relatively light loads stably. I would only use a tripod like that for a light, grab and go setup, which would utilize a lighter mount than the AZ75.

A mount like the AZ75 is made to handle small- and medium-sized scopes. But to perform well, it (like any mount) needs an adequately sturdy tripod. The heavier, wooden Berlebach would be a great match. The significant weight of the mount, itself, would make for a wobbly setup on one of those lightweight carbon fiber tripods. 

One of the problems people run into is under-mounting their telescopes. But it's equally important not to under-tripod our mounts.

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 2

Depends what you want to do with it. How heavy will the payload + mount be once you've set it all up? Will you have to move it around a lot or over some distance?

I've got a Uni 4 and an Innorel CF tripod, their performance are very close. The former however when fully loaded is more effort to carry around than the latter. I also image with them so any performance differences will be very clear in the images, maybe the Uni has the slight performance advantage when it's breezy out, otherwise they damp down quite similarly. But when the tripod is upright and I lean my bodyweight on top of it, the uni is far more confidence boosting, likely it'd take my whole bodyweight even though it's not rated as such.