NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 15/10/23 - pretty pleased with this one

Matt S

I feel like I can still do better, and I’m sure additional shots and de-rotating would also improve things - but I’ve yet to learn that side of things!

After swapping the RPi for the MacBook it was a lot easier to play with focus etc. The weather and seeing looked good so I dashed late with Jupiter high.

Equipment:

Skymax - 127

ASI678

2xBarlow

processed with:

Autostakkert

Registaxx

Affinity Photo

IMG_0849.png

• Like 6

With 2um pixel size and Mak127, you really don't need barlow for planetary imaging.

This will help keep the exposure length lower to freeze the seeing and help you make better image.

This is the size of image you can expect 5" telescope to produce:

image.png.8a1492edb19cd625dba8fcd6b53b1d4a.png

(yes, that is your image slightly tweaked and resized to "normal" size).

• Like 2

Good image, @Matt S.   I can’t comment on instrumental limitations or processing because I have very limited experience of planetary. It looks about as good as I ever managed with my 200p.  (8”).

Did you also process the image using your MacBook?  Last time I tried there still weren’t good planetary processing apps for macs.  I had to resort to Windows, but I no longer have access to a Windows machine.  

13 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Did you also process the image using your MacBook?

I do, I was also struggling to find some good Mac based tools so I’ve ended up using crossover to run AutoStakkert and RegiStax. I’ve tried the new Wavesharp project that’s been based off RegiStax, as at least that runs natively - but it’s not really a replacement yet. Also tried LuckyStackWorker as a native option, but Ive not been able to get as good results with it yet (although I still don’t really know how to use it). 

13 hours ago, vlaiv said:

With 2um pixel size and Mak127, you really don't need barlow for planetary imaging.

Thanks @vlaiv - at some point can you write a book on all this please 😁

I’ve got some more footage from that night without the Barlow too, I’ve not got round to processing yet - I’ll make a point to do some comparisons when I’ve finished. 

• Like 1