Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading from my ED80/600

Long story short, I got a SW 80ED a while ago, the (ugly) gold painted tube, I am trying to sell it and thinking at what might I upgrade considering I have no much sky available from home and need a portable setup on an AZ mount, I like to do visual observation of planets and won't mind some day being able to do some astrophotography.

Looking for a big focusing tube as to eventually use a full frame camera (either dslr or mirrorless) and a dual speed focuser to begin with, budget within 1.000-1.200 euros.

Suggestions?

If it's purely planets you want to look at an SCT will do it even a C6 but likely you'll also need a Barlow lens to get the planet larger in FOV. It'll image straight through on planets fine, with the F6.3 reducer it images but you'll need a tracking mount to get any results out of it for DSO.

Depends on your mount and tripod, an 8 inch will be better but not so portable. A maksutov then comes into play or even a Newtonian/dobsonian (but going towards less and less portable).

So another option would be around a 100mm doublet refractor, but tbh don't expect a dramatic change in the view. My C6 has more mag/focal length than my Z61 but cannot compete with the sharpness of the latter despite the latter being a much shorter focal length. Your milage may vary depending on your local LP and setup location.

I rather stay with a refractor, doublet like the 80ED or stretch the budget for a triplet, to continue my very rare observations I won't add any guided mount in the near future, I plan on using my Giro3 like AltAz head (will also need a new sturdy but portable tripod), it's more of a whim than a need, you know, upgrade syndrome 😉

Personally, I would keep the ED80 and get another scope to complement it. I sold mine and I have somewhat regretted it since. They are good for both visual and a starter scope for imaging. Maybe add a Mak or SCT for planetary imaging / viewing and you would have a reasonable pair of scopes for general viewing and imaging.

If you want to do planetary and stay portable then the next step up would be a 4” refractor or a 6” Maksutov.

The starfield refractor gets very good feedback…

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/starfield-telescopes/starfield-102mm-f7-ed-doublet-refractor.html

The Skywatcher 150 Maksutov has more resolution in a shorter tube..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-150-pro.html

On 08/10/2023 at 14:35, GiovanniAprea said:

the (ugly) gold painted tube

It's funny, I love my gold version, and I've had all the colours - blue and black.  But gold is the best :D 

Full frame is a reasonably big ask, not many scopes in that price bracket that would properly accommodate that size of sensor.

Edited by tooth_dr

I agree, I would keep the ED80 if possible and invest in another for observation. It's a good scope which is able to punch way above its league. Only issue with it, is that if you want to get the most out of it for astrophotography, you need to invest in a better draw focuser like the Baader steel track which will set you back £300 or so, and of course all the rest that is needed for tracking stars :). I've had mine for almost 10 years and it still amazes me. Good luck researching for a new scope, always fun when we get a chance to upgrade our setups lol. 

20 hours ago, Rico said:

Only issue with it, is that if you want to get the most out of it for astrophotography, you need to invest in a better draw focuser

You might be lucky. I had a good one and the stock focuser was OK for imaging - but they are a bit hit and miss. I did have to file the draw tube and adjust the settings, but it was OK.

Hello everybody from Italy, so far it seems summer got to an end, people complaining about "too hot" finally got their prize and two days of on and off rain and sudden temperature drop, we are never happy no matter what...

... and I am no exception 😄 

Yes I know the gold 80ED being a very good scope for the price, I never used it much and got a good offer to sell it that's why I am thinking about an upgrade, I like refractors and I know that to climb the ladder it takes a lot of money, I might remain with an 80mm diameter but bigger focuser to be able to eventually photograph with a DX or FF D-SLR and a better focuser which is what everybody complains about the 80ED which, by the way, can be fixed but once you add a 1:1 and 1:10 focuser and a field flattener is it worth the pain any longer and not better to switch to a new tube?

What would you do, remaining with a refractor, doublet or triplet, for planetary and some deep sky, with a budget within 1.000 euros?