NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing meetup in Beckenham Place Park, London

badhex

Hello all

I'm located in Beckenham and I recently discovered (although, not confirmed in person) that Beckenham Place Park is open all night, and since it is so huge I think it would be a great place to do observing from, weather and LP notwithstanding. 

That said, I not sure how comfortable I would feel wandering the park on my own with a load of astro gear late at night. Couple that with the lack of very local astro clubs (Orpington AS is the nearest and over an hour away on public transport), and I began to wonder if there might be scope (aha) to set up an informal but regular meetup for SGL folks (and others of course) in the local area. 

Is there anyone nearby who would be interested in such a thing? 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

• badhex changed the title to Observing meetup in Beckenham Place Park, London

Just a quick update and a nudge on this, I did go to the park today and had a quick recce.

The horizons are pretty clear and local LP shouldn't be too much of a problem - seems like it would be a great place to observe from that perspective. 

20231003_161324.thumb.jpg.0bfddc5c49b6a4dfd1f86e19405a8905.jpg

I also looked at the gate (at least the one on Beckenham Place Park road) and it seems like it's not shut very often if at all, as there is leaf litter etc around the bottom of the gate so I don't think access to the park in the evenings would be an issue. 

Would be really interested to know if anyone in the local area is interested in meeting up to observe! 

I have done similar on Wimbledon Common and Primrose Hill in the past which don’t close over night (the latter Monday to Thursday). Sadly your location is an 1 hour drive away from me in central London but seems like a great idea. Hopefully some more local SGL members will be in touch.

Edited by DirkSteele
Tyoo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

I have done similar on Wimbledon Common and Primrose Hill in the past which don’t close over night (the latter Monday to Thursday). Sadly your location is an 1 hour drive away from me in central London but seems like a great idea. Hopefully some more local SGL members will be in touch.

Thanks, shame you're not nearer! Fingers crossed some more local members might be interested too. 

2 hours ago, carastro said:

It sounds like you don’t drive.  Orpington AS do their Observing nights in Otford.  

Thanks @carastro, you're correct, I'm restricted to public transport only. That said I have been planning to come and visit you at the OAS observing evenings at some point, I just haven't got quite that far. 

Obviously Otford is significantly better than Beckenham LP wise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

@markse68 might be familiar with the locale as well?

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten @markse68 was in the general location, although maybe closer to Greenwich IIRC? Not sure how easy it is to get here? I know the Flamsteed AS do something on Blackheath once a month, also on my list to visit. 

9 hours ago, markse68 said:

Yes I’m Greenwich way- but not so far! If you get a chance do come along to the Flamsteed meet-ups- they’re quite regular this year but i’ll miss the next one. Always a very pleasant evening 

Mark

Cheers Mark, as I recall there are a couple this month? I'll try to get to one of them I think so hopefully I may see you there! 

Let me know if you fancy a trip south as well for an informal observing meetup one day. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2023 at 16:48, markse68 said:

Would be great to meet you Joe- I’ll be there 21/22nd this month- can’t make the 14/15th but yes they’ve changed it this year to twice a month meets so hopefully lots of opportunity to dodge clouds 🤞

Mark

Hi Mark, as you may have noticed I didn't end up making it due to illness spanning both weekends 😭

I hope you had an okay night weather wise on at least one of the days?

Sorry to hear you were ill Joe- come to the next one. It was a very good meet shifted to the Sunday due to weather but we had really good clear skies and a great turn out- in the region of 70 (!) people was the estimate and loads of scopes out. We were rushed off our feet all night! Excellent views of Jupiter and Saturn though the somewhat enhanced local light pollution from a funfair made favourites such as the Ring and Dumbbell nebula nigh on impossible for the visual observers, not so much a problem for the few robotic scopes though. Really good fun evening :) 

Mark

71F8960B-3237-4659-8EB0-4409154B8553.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Sorry to hear you were ill Joe- come to the next one. It was a very good meet shifted to the Sunday due to weather but we had really good clear skies and a great turn out- in the region of 70 (!) people was the estimate and loads of scopes out. We were rushed off our feet all night! Excellent views of Jupiter and Saturn though the somewhat enhanced local light pollution from a funfair made favourites such as the Ring and Dumbbell nebula nigh on impossible for the visual observers, not so much a problem for the few robotic scopes though. Really good fun evening :) 

Mark

71F8960B-3237-4659-8EB0-4409154B8553.jpeg

Cheers Mark, sounds like it was 'all the fun of the fair' 😂

I will definitely head up at some point and bring a small scope, very happy to share views at the eyepiece and lessen the burden on other scopes! 

• Haha 1