Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Philips Webcam

David Ettie

A friend has asked if I can locate a driver for an old (very) Philips webcam which at some time in the past was converted for Planetary imaging, the product label is worn so its hard to see the model albei I think it was the one commonly used before the ready availability of dedicated astro cameras, thoughts?

My thought was why does he not just buy a camera (ZWO ASI 120cs?)

The driver is available on the Philips website, but it needs to be the SPC900nc camera for it to work, if it’s the SPC880nc which looks identical then it will need the firmware flashing to SPC900nc, which can only be done with an old version of windows XP, and you also need the flashing tool and the firmware file,  if it’s the older toucam pro II which was silver in colour then this will also work but only after it’s flashed with the same newer SPC900nc firmware then it works as that camera…

hope that helps. 👍🏻

• Like 2

2 hours ago, inedible_hulk said:

I couldn’t find a Phillips driver later than Win 7 when I tried to resurrect my SPC900nc out of a sense of nostalgia. This driver didn’t work for me on Win 11.

Hmm, I know it works on windows 10, but personally not tried on Win 11…shame..☹️

On 25/09/2023 at 15:03, Stuart1971 said:

The driver is available on the Philips website, but it needs to be the SPC900nc camera for it to work, if it’s the SPC880nc which looks identical then it will need the firmware flashing to SPC900nc, which can only be done with an old version of windows XP, and you also need the flashing tool and the firmware file,  if it’s the older toucam pro II which was silver in colour then this will also work but only after it’s flashed with the same newer SPC900nc firmware then it works as that camera…

hope that helps. 👍🏻

Silly question, but how do you flash/update the firmware? as I have never done it!

I have a spare Phillips Toucam Pro ll and would like to do it.

22 minutes ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

Silly question, but how do you flash/update the firmware? as I have never done it!

I have a spare Phillips Toucam Pro ll and would like to do it.

It’s easy to do, but you need 3 things

A PC with windows XP on it, the Flashing software tool, and the SPC900nc firmware file, it’s a really simple process if you have all three, I have the flashing software tool and the firmware file, and have flashed loads of them…

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, malc-c said:

Ahh this takes me back....  I still have my Phillips 800 flashed...

SPC900 driver attached, which is the third item on Stuarts list... 

spc900nc_00_dw7_eng.zip 4.05 MB · 0 downloads

I think that’s the driver you have attached, to flash it you need the actual SPC900nc firmware file, not the driver…👍🏻

20 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

I think that’s the driver you have attached, 

And that is what I said

On 27/09/2023 at 11:20, malc-c said:

Ahh this takes me back....  I still have my Phillips 800 flashed...

SPC900 driver attached, which is the third item on Stuarts list... 

spc900nc_00_dw7_eng.zip 4.05 MB · 2 downloads

20 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

to flash it you need the actual SPC900nc firmware file, not the driver…👍🏻

Which is what you have...

On 26/09/2023 at 21:59, Stuart1971 said:

I have the flashing software tool and the firmware file, and have flashed loads of them…

So between us the OP has all three things to flash the camera and install it on a PC....

image.gif

On 28/09/2023 at 11:43, malc-c said:

And that is what I said

Which is what you have...

So between us the OP has all three things to flash the camera and install it on a PC....

image.gif

Sorry, the third item on my list above was the firmware file, not the driver…you just quoted me wrong that’s all, and that’s what I was referring too…all good….👍🏻

You said…”SPC900 driver attached, which is the third item on Stuarts list... “

but I said….

“‘A PC with windows XP on it, the Flashing software tool, and the SPC900nc firmware file”

3 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Sorry, the third item on my list above was the firmware file, not the driver…you just quoted me wrong that’s all, and that’s what I was referring too…

I think there was just some confusion...

On 26/09/2023 at 21:59, Stuart1971 said:

It’s easy to do, but you need 3 things

A PC with windows XP on it, the Flashing software tool, and the SPC900nc firmware file, it’s a really simple process if you have all three, I have the flashing software tool and the firmware file, and have flashed loads of them…

I read your post as having just the tool and firmware, hence why I posted the driver... sorry for any confusion there

Anyway, between us the OP has all the tools and files needed to flash the SPC800... these webcams were really good in their day, being CCD rather than CMOS... 

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

I think there was just some confusion...

I read your post as having just the tool and firmware, hence why I posted the driver... sorry for any confusion there

Anyway, between us the OP has all the tools and files needed to flash the SPC800... these webcams were really good in their day, being CCD rather than CMOS... 

yes I have the flashing tool and the firmware file but not the XP machine…so 2 out of 3 ain't bad….

But as you say the driver is also needed but I assumed he already had that so did not list it, so really it’s 4 things…..👍🏻

22 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

yes I have the flashing tool and the firmware file but not the XP machine…so 2 out of 3 ain't bad….

But as you say the driver is also needed but I assumed he already had that so did not list it, so really it’s 4 things…..👍🏻

Virtual Box and an XP ISO... sorted 😏

I too have an SPC900 (flashed 880 model) which I had previously used as a guide camera, it definitely worked under Windows 10 with the Philips 2007 driver and I have just now tried with the most up to date Windows 11 version and it still works with the same 2007 driver. I tried using both Sharpcap 4.0 and the latest version of PHD2 and both worked fine, about 30fps in Sharpcap

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, PhilB61 said:

I too have an SPC900 (flashed 880 model) which I had previously used as a guide camera, it definitely worked under Windows 10 with the Philips 2007 driver and I have just now tried with the most up to date Windows 11 version and it still works with the same 2007 driver. I tried using both Sharpcap 4.0 and the latest version of PHD2 and both worked fine, about 30fps in Sharpcap

That’s good to know….👍🏻