NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'Bullseye' finder?

Other than a Rigel Quikfinder, is there any other 'red dot' finder that feature concentric circle at all?

Ideally, I want something with a standard finder base to fit in a shoe but, that's not vital.  

I've fallen out with the Rigel because they never stick onto an OTA well then they fall off and the puppy eats them!

8 minutes ago, TheThing said:

Other than a Rigel Quikfinder, is there any other 'red dot' finder that feature concentric circle at all?

Ideally, I want something with a standard finder base to fit in a shoe but, that's not vital.  

I've fallen out with the Rigel because they never stick onto an OTA well then they fall off and the puppy eats them!

I fitted a finder shoe to the base of my Quickfinder so it fits to a standard base, and does not fall off.

Scopestuff do one, but I’m sure it would be easy enough to get one 3D printed.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_rqfe.htm

• Like 2

Probably a few others but the Telrad has concentric circles as does the Celestron star pointer pro:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-starpointer-pro-finderscope.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

Upside of the CSP is it fits on a standard bracket. Downsides (purely personal opinion): I have one and find it a bit wobbly/flimsy and the circles are too bright (even on the dimmest). The Telrad is a bit of a brick and won't be good on a small OTA.

• Like 2

I've had lots of these things and I'd always go for the Telrad. It's quite large but it lasts for decades and uses normal batteries which you can find anywhere and is so logical to use that you can lose the instructions and not worry about it. A circle is way better than a dot because it gives you a scale on the sky. It 'just works,' which is a minor miracle in astronomy.

Olly

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I've had lots of these things and I'd always go for the Telrad. It's quite large but it lasts for decades and uses normal batteries which you can find anywhere and is so logical to use that you can lose the instructions and not worry about it. A circle is way better than a dot because it gives you a scale on the sky. It 'just works,' which is a minor miracle in astronomy.

Olly

I second that, I find the Telrad spot on. (Sorry). It sticks onto the optical tube and stays there year after year.  It’s easy to adjust as well if necessary.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

but it lasts for decades and uses normal batteries which you can find anywhere

Just watch out for AA battery corrosion.  It totally mine even after replacing the battery holder.  I bought two used replacements, and neither potentiometer still works.  Both go from off to full scale just before reaching full travel.

By contrast, the little lithium CR2032 button cell in my QuikFinder is still going strong after 20+ years with no signs of corrosion.

I've got one of those multi target finder.  I think mine was a generic one from ebay for a pistol.  They work pretty well and are very robust.  Perhaps a little too bright, but still works well, although I'm not sure what the diameter of the outer circle corresponds to.

Looking at the price of the quickfinder shoe makes me glad that I've got a 3D printer for doing my own small parts.  Maybe I need to start going astro prints on ebay lol.

quickfinder 2.0.JPG