NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problems with SGPro / Atik EFW3

tooth_dr

The past couple of nights have been clear, and this has been my first imaging session since May.

Does anyone still use the last version of SGPro that doesnt require a subscription: 3.2.0.660

I am getting USB dropouts/reconnects which in turn causes a knock-on effect and my guiding camera disconnects and my imaging camera hangs on image downloads = no images!

I simplified things and ran just one camera (2600MC) and one focuser (FocusLynx Commander controller #focuser1 ).  I was able to image and guide the whole night without troubles.

As soon as I connect the second setup that is when the problems start.  I use a separate instance of SGPro, and have been doing so for 3 years now.  The second set up is camera (268M), Atik EFW3, focuser (FocusLynx Commander controller #focuser2 )

All connects ok, but 1-2 minutes into the session something happens and SGPro pops up lots of disconnect messages, and I can hear the noise that Windows makes when a USB disconnects and reconnects (multiple times)

I think it's the EFW3, because I was able to use one telescope with the focuser (autofocusing working perfectly all night multiple times), and its the same focuser unit controlling both focusers.  But the EFW3 works perfectly in the Atik Filter Wheel Runner progam, so I know the wheel isnt broken.  Maybe it's no longer comparible with SGPro 3.2?  When this instance of SGPro has issues, it affects PHD2 and the focuser, so it affects the other instance of SGPro too.

I connect all through a Pegasus Powerbox Advance V2 Hub, and I'm also wondering could it be that causing the issues?  I've tried connecting the focuser directly to the PC, but admittedly havent tried doing that with the EFW3, a job for later.  I use Lindy cables and have tried different cables to see if there are any issues with cables.  I also reseated all the power cables and I'm using the ones that came with the Powerbox.

Sorry for the long message, just frustrated as I'm trying to get back into it, but this isnt helping!

I downloaded NINA this afternoon, and tried to set it up, but I'm worried that I'll run into different problems getting the new software to work (meridian flips, guiding, framing, autofocusing, observatory slaving etc).  I'm running two separate instances too and there is a lot to adapt to!

Any input gladly accepted :icon_bounce:

Adam.

Edited by tooth_dr

Hi Adam,

I checked on the SGP forum and filter wheels seem to be a source of frequent problems. Here's a link to a setup like yours with a similar problem and it includes a reference to another link. They are from 2020. Atik had replied to the second link saying there was a error in their driver which is now fixed in the latest release. It's worth signing up to the forum to see the full messages as I think not all replies are shown if you're not a member.

Have you checked that USB power management is disabled too, as windows updates can re-enable it without you knowing, and this can be a source of problems in astro imaging. Here's a link to doing it via device manager and the Control Panel if you're unsure.

Alan

• Thanks 1

Hi Adam,

if I were you I would stick with NINA, and you will be fine, Any issues get on there Discord group and problems will be sorted pretty quickly by the group…i have used all the imaging platforms out there and NINA beats them all, and it’s free….It will do all you need it to, and more…👍🏻

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

Hi Adam,

I checked on the SGP forum and filter wheels seem to be a source of frequent problems. Here's a link to a setup like yours with a similar problem and it includes a reference to another link. They are from 2020. Atik had replied to the second link saying there was a error in their driver which is now fixed in the latest release. It's worth signing up to the forum to see the full messages as I think not all replies are shown if you're not a member.

Have you checked that USB power management is disabled too, as windows updates can re-enable it without you knowing, and this can be a source of problems in astro imaging. Here's a link to doing it via device manager and the Control Panel if you're unsure.

Alan

Alan that’s a great reply. Many thanks for taking the time to share the links also. It seems I have similar issues to the other folks.  Over the past days/nights I’ve exhausted software updates, rollbacks to legacy software, new usb cables, various combinations of equipment plugged in and not plugged in, connected to SGPro and not connected.

I ‘think’ I’ve found the issue.  I have an old metal startech usb 2.0 hub attached to a dovetail above my scope.  It was attached for balancing purposes some time ago and I forgot it was there.  I connected it up to the pc and moved both the focuser and the EFW USBs to it from the Pegasus hub. 

Two hours of testing and touch wood all appears to be working fine.  It’s cloudy now but I was able to change filters multiple times and autofocus both scopes, plus PHD2 guiding and image downloads all 100%.  Got a few subs of IC1396 in the process.

Im going to assume at this point there is an issue with the compatibility of the Pegasus hub and my equipment.  Might be that the hub has only USB3, there are no USB2 ports on it.  Or might be a mechanical issue as the female ports allow a bit of play and jiggling the connectors causes that window’s disconnect/reconnect bing.

I will use the startech hub for a while and monitor the situation.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hi Adam,

if I were you I would stick with NINA, and you will be fine, Any issues get on there Discord group and problems will be sorted pretty quickly by the group…i have used all the imaging platforms out there and NINA beats them all, and it’s free….It will do all you need it to, and more…👍🏻

Hi Stuart

I really hope SGPro continues to work for me as I’m just so used to the interface.  If however it stops for good I’ll switch to NINA. I won’t be paying the ongoing subscription for SGPro for sure. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

Glad you seem to have it all working again now. 😊 USB connections sem to be the cause of most erratic problems. I don't know if you have done so, but I've mentioned in the past about applying ACF-50 to all the connector contacts on your outside gear. I've done so and the days of having to replug things to get them working again have gone away. It's anti-corrosion and water repellant and doesn't affect the electrical connection. I just spray a little into a small container, and apply it with a toothpick.

SGP isn't a subscription to keep using it. Once bought you can use it forever and it includes a year of upgrades. I tried NINA when it first came out but preferred SGP's way of working and layout, so bought the latest version 4, 64 bit. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, symmetal said:

Glad you seem to have it all working again now. 😊 USB connections sem to be the cause of most erratic problems. I don't know if you have done so, but I've mentioned in the past about applying ACF-50 to all the connector contacts on your outside gear. I've done so and the days of having to replug things to get them working again have gone away. It's anti-corrosion and water repellant and doesn't affect the electrical connection. I just spray a little into a small container, and apply it with a toothpick.

SGP isn't a subscription to keep using it. Once bought you can use it forever and it includes a year of upgrades. I tried NINA when it first came out but preferred SGP's way of working and layout, so bought the latest version 4, 64 bit. 🙂

Alan

Cheers Alan. I assumed it was a subscription so that’s good to know.

Just to update this again, two full nights imaging completed since moving the 2 x USB2 devices off the Pegasus device and no lock-ups, freezes or dropouts.  So I think it is the USB2 connections / or my devices on the Pegasus box that are causing the dropouts.  I still have my USB3 cameras both plugged into the Pegasus box along with all the power cables and dew heaters, so the box clearly still works fine.

I do think it might be mechanical issues as the USB ports are quite wobbly and moving them about causes dropouts.  I have been in communication with Pegasus and they replied almost immediately which was great.  They think it's an issue with cables, possibly the input cable, but I dont think so because I can use it, but not with my Atik EFW or Focuser Controller attached.  I have asked about mechanical looseness and how to fix this but the replies now stopped.   I might try to address with a thin 3d printed stabiliser around the edge of the USB port.

• Like 1

The USB2 sockets on your Startech hub are likely giving a better connection for USB2 plugs than the USB3 sockets on your Pegasus. If you look in at the sockets on each you can see the 4 usb2 sprung pins are further back on the USB3 socket to make space to fit the 5 USB3 pins in front of them. The curvature on the pins is also less so there is a possibility of a less solid connection using USB2 connectors in USB3 sockets, particularly in the adverse conditions of outside use. Trying to anchor the cables in place is a good idea.

You seem to have solved the cause of the issue though which is the main thing and you can continue using SGP. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, symmetal said:

The USB2 sockets on your Startech hub are likely giving a better connection for USB2 plugs than the USB3 sockets on your Pegasus. If you look in at the sockets on each you can see the 4 usb2 sprung pins are further back on the USB3 socket to make space to fit the 5 USB3 pins in front of them. The curvature on the pins is also less so there is a possibility of a less solid connection using USB2 connectors in USB3 sockets, particularly in the adverse conditions of outside use. Trying to anchor the cables in place is a good idea.

You seem to have solved the cause of the issue though which is the main thing and you can continue using SGP. 🙂

Alan

Thanks again Alan for the information and reply.  What you are saying explains my issue and makes perfect sense.  I'll see if I can address it later.  It's got to be more physical than software if everything works with the PC.

• Like 1