Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner

Lizmoo

Hi @Lizmoo and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

2 hours ago, Lizmoo said:

I have a Celestron AstroMaster 114. I am having a hard time viewing any planets clearly. It basically looks the same as with my naked eye. Any suggestions? Should I UPGRADE my lenses?

Most ‘budget’/‘high street’ telescopes are or were often supplied with three 0.965” eyepieces, usually of Huygens or Ramsden design and are H20, HR12.5 & SR4. They are not particularly good. Even with the supplied 2X or 3X Barlow it is not going to make much difference or it is going to be overkill.

I don’t wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but I think your ‘scope is what is referred to as a a ‘Bird-Jones’ design. Again, not ideal. Basically there is a lens element in the eyepiece holder/tube which does away with a Barlow lens. Unfortunately no ‘scope does all in this hobby and each type of telescope design has its pros & cons.

Also when are you using the telescope? and what do you like viewing? If you enjoy the planets and are viewing early evening, then wait until they become higher in the sky. The higher they rise, the less of a dense atmosphere and atmospheric thermals you are looking through. This can or make some improvement and a more enjoyable experience.

• Like 1

You basically have a 4.5 inch there and it should get you some good images of the moon, planets, clusters and the brightest of the deep sky.  

Dumb question time, and this has happened to us all ... Did you take the cover off of the end?  

2 hours ago, Mike Q said:

You basically have a 4.5 inch there and it should get you some good images of the moon, planets, clusters and the brightest of the deep sky.  

Dumb question time, and this has happened to us all ... Did you take the cover off of the end?  

True, that.....I did it tonight, if only for about 5 seconds till it registered!

17 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

True, that.....I did it tonight, if only for about 5 seconds till it registered!

I have lost track of how many times i have done it.  

My first telescope was a similar 114 bird-jones reflector, it didn't give great views but you should be able to see Saturn's rings, the disk of Jupiter and Jupiter's four main moons.  

firstly can you get good views of the moon 'in focus'???  If that is ok your basic optics are fine!

Are you using a red dot finder or an optical finder?

either way, ensure it is aligned to the main scope.  Best to do this in the day time, by pointing your scope at a distant church steeple, pylon or apex of a roof line.  Then look through the finder scope or RDF.  Then if necessary tweak the 2 adjustment screws, so the finder is co-aligned with the main scope.

then best to start with Jupiter or Saturn, as they are the easiest to find.  Using a planetarium app identify Jupiter, point your scope in the general direction.  Look through the finder or the RDF, and put the cross hairs or dot on Jupiter!  Then hopefully when you look through  the eyepiece the planet should be in the centre.  Start with the largest eyepiece, usually 25mm.  When centred you can put higher mag eyepieces instead for more detail.

good luck

• 1 month later...