Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter & Ganymede

josefk

Bit of a scruffy one this and an unlooked for observation overall while having an otherwise "kit shakedown" type session.

When i swung to Jupiter last night it was immediately apparent it had a "pimple" on its north eastern limb. I suspected a moon going into or coming out of occultation so settled in to watch. Checking SkySafari it was indeed Ganymede coming out of occultation. I wear a mechanical watch so my timings are probably not super precise (and i didn't think to use my iPad till too late) but i recorded clear separation at ~23:35...23:37 BST and probably nearer to 23:35. 

NEB/SEB were prominent and flickering thick and thin. The NTB/STB intermittently flickered into view (the NTB most sharply). The southern pole had a hint of darkening but the view was bright overall so it was very subtle. The seeing was not as good as the apparent score would suggest. Seeing on a micro level was fine but there where "bigger lumps" of boiling air passing through the FOV.

This is with an 85mm apo and orthoscopic eyepiece for x113.

IMG_4286.thumb.jpeg.b0562ee2bd798013c395d8d281f112b3.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg.6788620236f586f50307b5669abe5e1e.jpeg

• Like 13

7 hours ago, josefk said:

Bit of a scruffy one this and an unlooked for observation overall while having an otherwise "kit shakedown" type session.

When i swung to Jupiter last night it was immediately apparent it had a "pimple" on its north eastern limb. I suspected a moon going into or coming out of occultation so settled in to watch. Checking SkySafari it was indeed Ganymede coming out of occultation. I wear a mechanical watch so my timings are probably not super precise (and i didn't think to use my iPad till too late) but i recorded clear separation at ~23:35...23:37 BST and probably nearer to 23:35. 

NEB/SEB were prominent and flickering thick and thin. The NTB/STB intermittently flickered into view (the NTB most sharply). The southern pole had a hint of darkening but the view was bright overall so it was very subtle. The seeing was not as good as the apparent score would suggest. Seeing on a micro level was fine but there where "bigger lumps" of boiling air passing through the FOV.

This is with an 85mm apo and orthoscopic eyepiece for x113.

IMG_4286.thumb.jpeg.b0562ee2bd798013c395d8d281f112b3.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg.6788620236f586f50307b5669abe5e1e.jpeg

Nothing scruffy really. Any contemporaneous sketching is an achievement. 

• Thanks 1