SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Wedge back focus

eekeek

Hello,

I have a Williams GT81 with 166.7mm back focus and a Baader Herschel Wedge that eats up 114mm of it. The Focuser takes 55.8mm by my measurement. So the imaging plane is ~5mm inside the clicklock The drawtube is wound all the way in and I have one lens that reaches focus.

I'm thinking of replacing the 47mm long, 2" Baader click lock with the T2 version. I have the T2 ring that correctly holds the ND 3.0  and Continuum filters. So * I think * I just need the T2 Clicklock to solve all my problems! - a shorter path, a clicklock and the T2 surface to stop the nose of my camera/eyepiece from hitting the filters.

I'd be grateful for your feedback

I removed the clicklock when connecting direct to my camera (ZWO).

The adapter need is this one.

Baader #27 to fit DSLR to Herschel or Maxbright Diagonal | First Light Optics

this significantly reduces the backfocus used up by the wedge system and allowed me to get to focus with several of my scopes that would not work with the clicklock in place.

(Note currently out of stock at FLO)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

I removed the clicklock when connecting direct to my camera (ZWO).

The adapter need is this one.

Baader #27 to fit DSLR to Herschel or Maxbright Diagonal | First Light Optics

this significantly reduces the backfocus used up by the wedge system and allowed me to get to focus with several of my scopes that would not work with the clicklock in place.

(Note currently out of stock at FLO)

Yes, I did something similar using adaptors I had to hand which shortened the light path and gave me a T2 connection for direct connection of binoviewers.

• Like 1

Does that mean you can't rotate the camera though?

In one sense yes, the camera becomes fixed.

However you can actually rotate the wedge diagonal round in the scope focuser , which effectively rotates the image orientation round on the sensor.

Edited by fifeskies
  • Thanks 1