Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubble Nebula rehashed L(Ha)SHO, Foraxx palette

windjammer

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Nice to see this lively thread maybe ending on a remarkable image of M51, although I have to say it is not to my tastes. The faint nebulosity looks a bit over processed to me and has a painted on look but perhaps that how it is in reality. 
I prefer images with (dare I say it) more detail in the actual galaxies. 
I agree with Olly that amateurs can really only break new imaging ground by going deep and off the beaten track, but if your favourite objects are galaxies then you can only strive to get the best detail you can with the kit and location you have.

And I’ve obviously not got the message as I have just ordered a camera with 2 micron pixels….😉

Interesting! What are you going to put it in?

Olly

I image small galaxies with an Esprit 150/ASI178 mono dual rig, usually binned 2x2 so imaging at 0.94 arcsec per pixel. The ASI 678 OSC camera is described as being the successor to the 178, it has smaller pixels and no amp glow so I am going to try to use it to capture RGB alongside a 178 for Lum, thereby avoiding the dreaded cloud induced missing channel syndrome. The  colour data will be binned in software. If I ever want to try lunar, planetary or the ISS, then I should have a suitable camera.

30 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Interesting! What are you going to put it in?

Olly

Further to my recent post re the RASA8 small target imaging capabilities, I will give it a go with that scope too. I know Vlaiv said the central obstruction doesn’t make any significant difference, but Celestron don’t recommend using the RASA8 with a DSLR and that’s effectively the obstruction I currently have with the 178 fitted with the Peltier cooler.

It will be fun to try.😊

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tomato said:

I image small galaxies with an Esprit 150/ASI178 mono dual rig, usually binned 2x2 so imaging at 0.94 arcsec per pixel. The ASI 678 OSC camera is described as being the successor to the 178, it has smaller pixels and no amp glow so I am going to try to use it to capture RGB alongside a 178 for Lum, thereby avoiding the dreaded cloud induced missing channel syndrome. The  colour data will be binned in software. If I ever want to try lunar, planetary or the ISS, then I should have a suitable camera.

For starters, I like your telescope 🤣I used to own an Astrophysics 160, but sold it at a ridiculous price to purchase the 10 micron mount. The Esprit has performed just as well, it would have to be very special circumstances for the AP to edge ahead.

Interesting that you have chosen a planetary camera to image deepsky objects and uncooled too, but I have often thought about just that when you dont need the FOV and the noise characteristics of modern camera's almost negate the need for cooling, its a good much cheaper proposition. In that regard I have a relatively old ASI183, but would love to see a modern version without the horrible amp glow.

The uncooled ASI178 cameras were retrofitted with Peltier coolers, not so much to do sub zero imaging but more to maintain a constant temperature so that the calibration frames are more effective, and the amp glow is then not really a problem.

I use a 485, 294 and 183 all uncooled, usually with the HS, sometimes with the Samyang. The 533 was the supposed "successor" to the 183 but it's square, that's the comparison camera on their website even if their pixel sizes are totally different.

Edited by Elp