Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Views of Saturn

HonestGazer

Hi All,

My boys and I had read that this week would get good views of Saturn in the UK, unfortunately (matter of opinion) we have been on holiday up until Tuesday and were starting to think we may miss it due to weather.

I agreed that I would check the skies last night and if there was an opening and I could spot it, I would wake them up (bed time for them is 7pm!) And they could come out to observe and make there notes in the journals.

I didn't hold much hope, cloud cover was high and the moon would be right beside her! However a opening came just after 10, took the scope out and started to explore. At first I was having no luck however managed to get Saturn locked in and wow! I really was blown away and amazed - my first viewing of Saturn and just wow.

Needless to say I kept my promise, I went upstairs very gently spoke their names and they were up instantly and outside with me! Both of them equally blown away. As a parent you want to leave your kids sleeping and feel bad waking them however I think the experience was worth it and they now have a first page in their journal about Saturn!

If you made it this far, thanks for investing the time to read and good luck at night all.

• Like 12

The loss of your childrens sleep will soon be forgotten but they will always remember Dad showing them Saturn for the first time 👍

Saturn is very low this year and not showing much detail but will get better over the coming years, see this planetary graph by SGL member @Stu

IMG_1334.thumb.jpeg.75066ec97c2f888d243cf108c594f30c.jpeg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 2