Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn Opposes Sun 2023 AUG 27

CentaurZ

Ringed Saturn currently rises around sunset and achieves opposition from the Sun on 2023 AUG 27, when it is out all night at stellar magnitude +0.4. Its rings will appear tilted at +9.0°.

At the time of its opposition, Saturn’s brightness peaks abruptly, unlike the gentle brightness curve for other planets. This sharp “oppositional flash” is due to a lack of a visible shadow of its rings on the planet, and the lack of ring particle shadows visible on each other, as viewed from Earth.

Photos and descriptions of Saturn and its rings would be welcome additions to this thread.

Saturn-B.JPG.f0196e7209f49303de49a8ffd672ce8a.JPG

• Like 1

On 30/08/2023 at 05:02, Cleetus said:

Thanks for posting this. The March 2039 opposition will present the rings at + 00.6 but I assume there must be occasions when the rings are actually "edge on" and invisible in smaller telescopes?

You're welcome. See my chart below.

Your assumption is correct. The next actual "edge on" will be on 2025 MAR 23, although Saturn will be in the predawn eastern sky only 10˚ west of the Sun.

The 2039 APR 02 image below is for the central "edge on" event during that apparition. Due to apparent retrograde motion, 2038 OCT 15 and 2039 JUL 09 will also be "edge on" dates. 

Saturn-C.JPG.29efeea72ea2ccfdd162254cabed3356.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1

If you would like to contribute with a sketch but, like me, have cack hands, you can use a planetary blank.  You can sketch, paint, crayon or whatever you want without having to try and draw the ruddy planet.

Note: planetary blanks might be of limited use if trying to convey the majesty of Saturn through the medium of contemporary dance.

Quick Google will find a wide range of suitable blanks.  It's not cheating neither!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ratlet said:

If you would like to contribute with a sketch but, like me, have cack hands, you can use a planetary blank.  You can sketch, paint, crayon or whatever you want without having to try and draw the ruddy planet.

Note: planetary blanks might be of limited use if trying to convey the majesty of Saturn through the medium of contemporary dance.

Quick Google will find a wide range of suitable blanks.  It's not cheating neither!

Quite right. The BAA Saturn section website has suitable blanks: https://britastro.org/section_information_/saturn-uranus-and-neptune-section-overview/observing-programme/saturn-uranus-and-neptune-visual-report-forms

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

You can sketch, paint, crayon or whatever you want without having to try and draw the ruddy planet.

I know the feeling 🙂 I remember once when I was trying to log a Saturn observation in my log book. I'd done a rough sketch of the planet on a post it note shortly after coming in for the evening which, amazingly, depicted the ring angle pretty well. I then attempted to replicate the drawing in my log book the next day. A few attempts and much swearing later, I just stuck the post it note in it 😆

Edited by Neil_104
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 27/08/2023 at 17:55, Neil_104 said:

I was observing Saturn last night, in preparation for the opposition so I could compare the difference in brightness, aaaaaaaaaand it's cloudy 😐

It's not so much a spike, simply an immediate reversal point. For other planets the magnitude topping is a smooth curving graph.

Here's my graph of Saturn's magnitude.

Saturn-Mag.JPG.79c5293fa09a610e06da066c38a93649.JPG

• Like 1