Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What range of eyepieces should i have?

Hello!

I am finally looking into upgrading my eyepieces from what my scope came with. I am wonder what range of eyepieces i should have, would a 40mm, a 20mm and a 9mm suffice for a 6" dob? I am mainly doing deep sky, and dont want to spend money on eyepieces I wont end up using.  

25 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

What is the focal length or F ratio of your Dob? what might be an ideal set for a F8 might not work well at all in an F5.

My bad, 1200mm

• Like 1

Nirvanas are very sharp and easy to use; except the 16mm - that has strong field curvature and is pants. The StellaLyra 18mm UFF is supposed to be good if you need something around that focal length, though I haven't used it myself.

If those are the eyepieces you have add a 2x barlow and call it good.  I tend to keep about 5mm difference between eyepieces and mine run from 5mm to 38mm

On 24/08/2023 at 19:44, Mr Spock said:

Nirvanas are very sharp and easy to use; except the 16mm - that has strong field curvature and is pants. The StellaLyra 18mm UFF is supposed to be good if you need something around that focal length, though I haven't used it myself.

Yes, the SL 80° series (= UFF)  is very good. I have the 20mil and I can't fault it. The 18mm is from the 68° series and is also good, though obviously with a narrower AFOV.

Edited by cajen2

26 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Yes, the SL 80° series (= UFF)  is very good. I have the 20mil and I can't fault it. The 18mm is from the 68° series and is also good, though obviously with a narrower AFOV.

The SL 80 degrees are not UFF and the 18mm UFF is actually 65 degrees 👍.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

The SL 80 degrees are not UFF and the 18mm UFF is actually 65 degrees 👍.

You're quite right. I got a bit confused by SL nomenclature. The 68° and 80° range are both actually called LER/WA. Either way, both are very good. 

• Like 1

If you have been using the eyepieces that came with your telescope I would recommend upgrading to the very reasonably priced Starguider eyepieces. You will definitely see an improvement in your views without it costing an arm and a leg.