Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC410 - Remastered

Budgie1

With no clear skies at the moment, well, I did get about an hour to focus my new guide scope & camera the other night but that was it, I have resorted to re-processing some of the images I took earlier this year, to see what I could do with them. That & to check PI has no quirks following the latest update and to keep my "hand in" with processing.

This is IC410, which I took a total of 9 Hours & 15 minutes worth of data in SHO. The original thread from February with full details is here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/407034-ic410-tadpoles-in-sho/

So, this is the original process I did back in February, which isn't that bad:

IC410_Tadpoles_9h15m_SHO_25022023-1.thumb.png.d529c58e778a6ebfb3cf597b21eaa7f5.png

The following one is the re-processed version I did today using the same SHO stacked images. The main difference between the two processing workflows is the use of the GeneralisedHyperbolicStretch (GHS) script on the latest version, where as I only used the normal PI HistogramTransfomation tool on the first one.

This has allowed me to fine tune the fainter parts on each of the stacked images, which has enhanced the fainter dust in outer edges of the image. I also think the processing is more subtle in this one, not has hard as it looks in the first rendition.

I'm open to comments and suggestions, so what do you think?

IC410_Tadpoles_9h15m_SHO_25022023-3.thumb.png.b59af0c3e48449324476a031861c07eb.png

• Like 9

I think the more appropriate question, is which one you prefer 😃 ... Both versions have their merits - I think if you blended both versions, each person here would give a different answer as to what % mix they personally prefer.  I like the "hard" version a lot, though  the "softer" version shows there is more detail to be had in the rim than the "hard" version shows.  I think i would go for an 80/20 blend in the direction of the hard version - but that's a very personal thing ... if it was my data, I would look to add a second panel below the first at some point in the future, when I had a "spare" night (as if there were such a thing) - a touch of icing on the cake as it were ...

• Like 1