NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter, Io, and Callisto with new equipment (C8 XLT + ADC) - 15 Aug 2023

Maurizio83

Hello,

after several months of stop (basically from Mars in December 2022) I started again with planetary photography.

I made various changes to my equipment. Now I'm using a (by far more) modern C8 (CPC), and replaced the barlow with a focal extender + ADC.

I also tried capturing more (short) frames by setting the gain higher than in the past.

After spending a few evenings figuring out how to make everything work (electronics, mechanics and optics), on the night of August 15th I took pictures of Jupiter when it was starting to be quite high in the sky. The seeing was stable and several details were already visible on the monitor during shooting. Not an optimal seeing but certainly not bad.

On the processing side, I did practically everything with AstroSurface and only a few final touches with GIMP.

Considering the still small diameter of Jupiter it seems to me that the details visible in the image are quite satisfactory. What do you think? Any advice? I'm a bit uncertain about the visible details on Callisto, it's not clear to me if they are an artifact or something real... I have to investigate...

The ADC seems to actually improve image quality.

The full resolution image and detailed information are available here: https://flic.kr/p/2oWeWJL12-2023-08-15-0232.thumb.png.e9fa998709f2bb3390fba2aa1c186093.png

Edited by Maurizio83
  • Like 9

Very nice image and colour balance. Hard to tell about details on Callisto (a good sign is if you can see them prior to wavelets). You may want to reduce the wavelets a bit (I am also guilty of over doing it sometimes). You can even up the saturation a bit more.

• Thanks 1