Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81

Gy Stargazer

Thanks to the wonderfully clear night last night i got to see my first Messier. :)

M81 - Bodes Galaxy up high in User Major.

Although my Equipment isn't great with a 10 mm lens in i could see it as a fuzzy ball. (Not great i know but it made me excited.) :)

Hoping for more clear skies tonight.

I didn't get M82 until last night.

Wish i could see them closer.

Tried to get the sombrero galaxy but unfortunately for me it was just in a patch of light pollution from an oil refinery. :)

I've got clear skies until the weekend now so I'm going to be out every night.

So excited. I'm like a kid at christmas. lol.

Quick update on this thread.

(Saves starting another one.)

22-04-09

Sighted:-

M3, M65, M66, M95, M96, M97, M99, M100, M105 & M108

Now seen 12 out of 110 Messier Objects.

It's nights like last night that make this hobby oh so very rewarding. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to bag M81 with a pair of bog standard 8x50 binoculars a couple of weeks ago. This was during my latest trip in the North sea. It was exceptionally clear and virtually no light pollution although a quarter moon was up. I couldnt make out M82 but with no moon I think it would be possible.

I also tried to see M104 which, due to my latitude is a difficult target even with my scope. I thought I'd seen it but on checking stellarium I find I'd been looking at a trio of faint stars. They are in the right vicinity, are of roughly equal magnitude and lie in a line and look to the hopeful eye a lot like an edge on galaxy.

I did however manage M31. Its low altitude and the fact that there was still a little sun glow in that part of the sky made it a very challenging target.

Archived