Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Setting NYX-101 up for a newbie using Asiair plus and ZWO camera

talk2mike

My experience level is minimal but having jumped in at the deep end, can anyone tell me how best to set up both the equipement and the software

2600C camera, Williams FLT91, XLT 9.25 OTA. Windows 10 pro laptop

Thanks

T2M

Are you using PC astro controller software or an Asiair? From memory I don't think the NYX is listed on the asiair mount selection options, unless it's been updated.

Edit: I think it is supported doing a quick search 

Edited by Elp

Is all the equipment not with you at the moment? Need clarification please.

I always test what I can indoors first, much easier to do than in the middle of the night.

1 hour ago, talk2mike said:

Hoping to get it all together on Tuesday night when I arrive at destination. NYX is alleged to be Asiair Plus compatable now according to supplier

It should be there was a major discussion over at cloudynights where new NYX owners found that the Asiair did not support it though it used a supported standard LX200 protocol.  If I recall correctly ZWO said this was a bug and not deliberate block and has now been fixed.

I checked my mini earlier, it wasnt in the mount list (Pegasus or NYX). There is an LX200 option just before all the Meade mounts. If unsure maybe email zwo direct, they usually respond within 24-48 hours.

The nyx should work with the asiair using the LX200 protocol. But, the asiair is designed as an entry level equipment and its functionality is severely crippled for advanced astrophotography. I use my nyx with a simple mini PC and Nina and have a fully functional version of phd2 which allows me to use different guilding algorithms such as the predictive pec algorithm which is what you should be using with your NYX mount.

Don't get me wrong, I think asiair is great for beginners, but for serious astrophotography, you need more.

Out of interest what total RMS typically do you get with the NYX with what scope and FL? Do you find you also need to guide at short exposures like I've read about for other HD mounts?

Please also clarify what serious astrophotography entails as that's a big statement to make to someone reading this whom may not be so hands on experienced.

Edited by Elp

22 hours ago, Elp said:

Please also clarify what serious astrophotography

I consider serious astrophotography when you don't have to trade functionality for convenience or portability. Using full version of phd2 with all it's options instead of a crippled version which doesn't let you utilise different guiding algorithms, falls in that category, especially for strain wave mounts.

My guiding graphs are in reality seeing dependant. On good night's they range from 0.45" to 0.6", and on medium/bad from 0.65" to 0.85". I used to have 0.7-0.8"RMS with my neq6, but the the peaks were 1.5", while the strainwave has much smaller peaks,for the same rms, no more than 1"

This is with my 150/750 newt, oag, full mono setup with 5x2 filterwheel.

Screenshot_20230728_225741_AnyDesk.thumb.jpg.8feac1d7d72ab0e8d09dbb08d847d94d.jpg

Edited by R26 oldtimer
scope info added

I think the end result is more important than looking at guide figures. Theyre not perfect examples but based on what you've said the following are not considered "advanced/serious astrophotography" because I used an Asiair for them and even an azgti which isn't considered a serious AP mount:

IC434HorseheadFlameNebulaHalphav3-20-01-22-doimg-Copy_044900.thumb.png.31c66bde906ab165978e27b1e88aaf8c.png

M31AndromedaGalaxy-06-08-22-doimg-Copy_023750.thumb.jpg.6b21689fa49ffb7bf6c061e85731c091.jpg

RMS figures are largely affected by a number of factors including and not limited to: load weight, focal length, PA accuracy, guide imaging scale, whether using OAG or not, seeing, scope balancing, where the scope is pointing in the sky, wind, mount internals.

My azgti typically gets 0.8-1.2 RMS, I've got it down to 0.6 RMS with an OAG, my gem28 typically does 0.6-0.8 RMS with a guidescope, my HEM15 last was over 1-1.5 RMS with a guidescope. In all scenarios the stars were fine for my needs which is the most important.

• Thanks 1

On 31/07/2023 at 13:00, talk2mike said:

Hoping to get it all together on Tuesday night when I arrive at destination. NYX is alleged to be Asiair Plus compatable now according to supplier

So I have set the mount up, have it connected via laptop USB. Unity app showing mount but I cannot see any prompt to update firmware and software app I cannot tell

I cant get the Unity to hook up to either hotspot on my Galaxy S or to local wifi (which is indifferent at best

any ideas how I can progress?

Did you not try the air?

Usually if a software program cannot connect to WiFi it's because a firewall (software one or hardware (your router or your pc hardware)) is not allowing it. You have to grant the software network permissions.

If your mount is ascom compatible you shouldn't need Unity in the first place, it should be detected in NINA (or whatever astro controller software you're using) via ascom drivers.

Edited by Elp