Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What thread size for Altitude adjustment bolts HEQ5PRO?

Swoop1

Playing with the new to me RVO Horizon ED72 to sort out dovetail positioning etc I found that the noes of the dovetail catches the north side altitude bolt on my HEQ5PRO when rotating the scope.

I know it is very rare that I will be pointing the scope at the ground but, if I found myself in a capture where a meridian flip was needed and I either wasn't with the scope or forgot about it, there could be a disaster. 

I would like to swap the bolt out for a) something shorter and b) maybe something a bit less flexible so thet my PA is tighter.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

The replacement bolt suppliers are quoting M10 (55mm and 75mm long)

Thanks @Tomatobro. I'm guessing the north bolt will be the shorter one.

I think I have some M10 bolts in the shed. i will have to check them out.

• Like 1

On other mounts, I have fitted cut down bolts. The new lengths being only a couple of millimetres longer than necessary for my latitude.
Hacksaw to just over length, leaving a couple of nuts on the thread to hold the bolt in a vice, and form the thread after sawing.
A file or gentle work on a bench ginder will smooth any raggy end of thread.
You can take a spanner or allen key to adjust.
This also means you can fit decent bolts, rather than those made from stale cheese that manufacturers fitted a few years back.

If you take the mount on holiday, either make different bolts to suit the new latitude, or refit the originals.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1