Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First ever attempt at whitelight imaging 26/07/23

IDM

Some  weeks ago I bought a Starfield solar wedge through the for sale section of this site. Since receiving the wedge it seems to have rained or been cloudy every day since. However, yesterday there was brief respite in the weather and I managed two 30 second videos of the sun. I had to use my Zwo ASI224MC  camera along with a Skywatcher Equiniox ED80 scope. 

I stacked the best 5% of frames and then had a go at  sharpening using IMPPG and then finished in Affinity Photo. I know its not very good but I was very excited to get my first solar image so I thought I would post it. I am interested in feedback as I am unsure on how far to sharpen.

Ian

2607 SUN.jpg

• Like 8

Ian,

Great first attempt! :thumbsup:

But, at the risk of offending, I suggest you ease back on the sharpening.

The best way to judge your own images is by direct and honest comparison with an acknowledged expert's results.

There is no finer example than Steve Ward's impressive, white light images. Which he regularly posts here and on Solar Chat!

He consistently pulls superb images out of every imaginable weather and seeing condition. Dedication and persistence of a very high order.

His images are always sharp but always look very natural. As if seen visually with the same size of telescope at the same image scale.

My own standard for judging white light images, at these image scales, is a hen's egg. Smooth, but with a hint of fine texture.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/412044-sun-in-whitelight-27th-july-2023/

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

But, at the risk of offending, I suggest you ease back on the sharpening.

Absolutely no offence taken. I need to learn and  I had followed a YouTube tutorial for IMPPG and was unsure about how far to take the sharpening relative to what was in the video.

I will certainly look at the link.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Very good start (and definitely beats my initial attempts)!

Remember to sharpen with care; in your image it's a bit "overcooked", as can be seen e.g. from the ringing artifact along the limb.

Here's another full disc for reference (only 50 mm aperture):

https://astrob.in/full/105799/0/?real=

Edited by GreatAttractor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I’m pleased you’re happy with the wedge and putting it to good use.

Hi, yes, very happy with the wedge, the only problem with it is that the sun has disappeared behind endless cloud since I got it 😀

Hopefully the weather will improve soon and I can get back to practicing my imaging.

Ian

• Haha 1