Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's this ? very strange meteor (?) over southern Spain, 17th Jul 2023

glowingturnip

meteor.thumb.jpg.3eca002a18e6e6ee76fbce89b12bcb8f.jpg

So this was in southern Spain, 17th July 2023, at 21:41 local time, just north of Malaga.

It was a bright streak, about as bright as a fireball meteor but moving much more slowly.  There was a streak of about 20 brightly lit objects all in the exact same line of travel, falling to earth, but much much slower than any meteor I've ever seen - every object was visibly moving at about satellite speed, and they must all have come from the break-up of a larger object since they were all in the same line.  Altogether it must have been in the sky for at least 15 seconds - enough time for me to grab my phone, find the right app, night-time setting and take this (awful) photo.  This photo was quite a bit after its maximum brightness.  It didn't have the bright 'head' that fireball meteors often do, each object was about equal brightness

I'm aware 17th July was the start of the Perseids, but I've never seen a meteor like this.

Any ideas ?  Is Elon missing a satellite ?  Aliens landed in Malaga ?