NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Squid in Oiii - Help/Advice needed

AndrewRrrrrr

Hi there,

Took the opportunity to point the scope at the Squid earlier in the summer where there were lots of clears nights.

Decided to go all out for Oiii and gathered 33 hours of 3 min subs.

Using an AA wave80 scope and an AA183MM with an Optolong 6.5nm Oiii filter. 

When I stack it all in APP, I get virtually nothing, it's there but so so faint! Help!
I know it's a faint target but I would have thought that much time would get something reasonable.

Any ideas would be really appreciated. Duff filter? I've seen another thread about this today and it prompted me to ask this question......

Quite prepared for the issue to be something I'm doing though!

I've attached the stacked FITS files for Oiii (and Ha for interest). 

regards

Andrew

Squid_June_2023-Oiii-session_1-1.fits Squid_June_2023-Ha-session_1-1.fits

Tha fov looks familar.

My version took me 3 years and 84 hours of 1800 sec (yes 30 min )subs to get something I was fairly happy with, this was with my TS71 and ccd cameras.You could say it became my obsession.

I have seen much less exposure than my attempt with cmos chips.

All I can say is try longer subs.

Edit

I thought I had one at your approx hours,34hours O3 this was stretched hard.

bQ9l5V_iC4Xw_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

• Like 2

Faint isn't the word:

SquidStars.thumb.jpg.e930aa393b064558a0db02200879adca.jpg

Looks like good data but I did notice in Siril when opening the linear files and changing the preview mode to histogram the image is completely white on both ha and o3 stack, I've never had this happen before.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

There doesn't seem to be much signal there for 33 hrs of integration with a dedicated OIII filter. I have stretched your image so hard I think some of the camera amp glow artefact is coming through on the right hand side. For comparison below is the blue channel from 210 mins with the RASA8/QHY268c/NBZ from a Bortle 5/6 location. Sure, the RASA has more aperture but I would have thought ~10 times the integration with a dedicated OIII filter and a mono camera might have done better? What is your LP level at your location?

Image03RGB.thumb.jpg.09908e03b67ce84de2beb042ae5dc89a.jpg

B.thumb.jpg.b679e1120f6dfca53be1218067ad7c8d.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Tha fov looks familar.

My version took me 3 years and 84 hours of 1800 sec (yes 30 min )subs to get something I was fairly happy with, this was with my TS71 and ccd cameras.You could say it became my obsession.

I have seen much less exposure than my attempt with cmos chips.

All I can say is try longer subs.

Edit

I thought I had one at your approx hours,34hours O3 this was stretched hard.

bQ9l5V_iC4Xw_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

thanks! I did try some 5 min subs in there as well. but i thought the deal with cmos cameras was sub length didn't matter too much and to use the sharpcap method to work it  out, playing off manageability of lots of files with accuracy of the mount. 

84 hours! bravo for sticking with it!!!!

2 hours ago, tomato said:

There doesn't seem to be much signal there for 33 hrs of integration with a dedicated OIII filter. I have stretched your image so hard I think some of the camera amp glow artefact is coming through on the right hand side. For comparison below is the blue channel from 210 mins with the RASA8/QHY268c/NBZ from a Bortle 5/6 location. Sure, the RASA has more aperture but I would have thought ~10 times the integration with a dedicated OIII filter and a mono camera might have done better? What is your LP level at your location?

Image03RGB.thumb.jpg.09908e03b67ce84de2beb042ae5dc89a.jpg

B.thumb.jpg.b679e1120f6dfca53be1218067ad7c8d.jpg

hi and thanks! it's bortle 4 where I am (according to "clear outside"). The RASA8 looks like a beast - is that a cropped image you have posted there?

1 hour ago, AndrewRrrrrr said:

hi and thanks! it's bortle 4 where I am (according to "clear outside"). The RASA8 looks like a beast - is that a cropped image you have posted there?

Yes, the RASA8/268c/NBZ is great combination for targets like the squid and bat nebulae. That image I posted is the full frame.