Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vaonis Hestia

It seems like a folded telescope which provides a mounting place for a current smartphone to record images on the optical exit?

Looks like a minimalist product, where you have the camera and software in your phone, and you just attach an optical tube in front of it.

Edited by nfotis

10 hours ago, nfotis said:

It seems like a folded telescope which provides a mounting place for a current smartphone to record images on the optical exit?

Looks like a minimalist product, where you have the camera and software in your phone, and you just attack an optical tube in front of it.

Yes that makes sense, especially given the price.  

On 09/07/2023 at 02:13, nfotis said:

Looks like a minimalist product, where you have the camera and software in your phone, and you just attach an optical tube in front of it.

This is pretty much what I was thinking, they've updated the page now to say the launch date is the 18th July.

My other guess is since it has a 1.2 inch objective there will be provision to attach standard 1.25 inch filters externally, especially as it mentions the upcoming eclipse, but I guess we'll see on the 18th!

On 07/07/2023 at 15:48, RobertI said:

Interesting, but trying to get my head around what it’s actually offering and how it works? The video is a bit cryptic……

That video makes me wonder whether they know what it is.

28 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

Another teaser video released before the launch on Kickstarter tomorrow, so we have an idea of size at least, it definitely looks a bit different! 

The wife is all over this.  It could be the ultimate travel scope. 

2 hours ago, doublevodka said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vaonis/hestia-turn-your-smartphone-into-a-smart-telescope and now she can order 👍Lots more details about it on the page for those interested

She has all the emails.  They always make it ready to go for apple products, android always seems to take a back seat, plus it is only good for certain android systems.  Her phone is brand new and wont run all of it.  My phone wont run any of it.  So to get the most out of it I would have to switch to apple or a very expensive android

17 hours ago, Mike Q said:

She has all the emails.  They always make it ready to go for apple products, android always seems to take a back seat, plus it is only good for certain android systems.  Her phone is brand new and wont run all of it.  My phone wont run any of it.  So to get the most out of it I would have to switch to apple or a very expensive android

I'd hold off a phone change for now @Mike Q, bearing in mind they aren't shipping till later in the year that'll give time for the android app to be developed. If you do end up looking to change, I'd recommend the Google Pixel phones, the below was taken with my pixel 6 on a tripod from my back garden, no tracking mount.

PXL_20230120_224656762.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.74507be3e198e1792b93b8f6e56af404.jpg

1 hour ago, doublevodka said:

I'd hold off a phone change for now @Mike Q, bearing in mind they aren't shipping till later in the year that'll give time for the android app to be developed. If you do end up looking to change, I'd recommend the Google Pixel phones, the below was taken with my pixel 6 on a tripod from my back garden, no tracking mount.

PXL_20230120_224656762.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.74507be3e198e1792b93b8f6e56af404.jpg

I have no intentions of changing phones just for this.  The wife has been in touch with Vaonis and has the whole scoop direct from them.  I will try and get the details from her later and post them here 

Well i think the wife is going to forgo this, at least at this time.  While her phone (an android) is newer it wont do the deep sky stuff, which is what she really wants.  She is on a Stellina forum online somewhere and there are more then a few people that are dropping out of it because they like their current phones and dont want to change.  I cant say I blame them.