Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helpful tip for anyone who uses Vibration Suppression Pads with their Scopes

If you use or plan on purchasing Vibration Suppression Pads with your setup then it will quickly become obvious that setting them up in the dark can be a bit awkward getting the orientation where one of the foot pegs of each pad is positioned facing inwards towards your tripod. You can easily solve this issue by buying some inexpensive glow in the dark paint from a craft store. Then paint a mark from the edge of the foot peg, up the side and finish over the top edge for all three feet. In this way you know where all of the feet are in the dark and can easily line any of them with the center of your tripod.  It’s also helpful to add a weight to the underside of your tripod somewhere on the order of 1-2 kilograms to increase the effectiveness of suppression pads. 

IMG_2911.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I just used to set them up before it got dark while my scope was cooling. If this isn’t suitable for folk then this is a good workaround. I no longer use them.

Yes it’s best to upgrade to a heavy duty tripod that  has weight and can be be anchored down if needed but usually weight with your mount and whole setup is enough unless conditions are extreme.

I've never tried those pads and never felt that I needed to. I usually set up on grass and the tripod spikes just stick in the ground. I suppose if you had to set up on a patio or deck they may be useful.

23 minutes ago, Aramcheck said:

@StarDuke82 What's the advantage to rotating the supression pads? I use them but have never paid any attention to their orientation in relation to the scope legs.

Many thanks

Ivor

By rotating them so one foot peg faces in towards your tripod it helps speed up the vibration suppression by helping cancel out the oscillations faster. The vibrations are waves that start in your tripod legs each leg sends out a wave each pad cancels that to a degree and by having the foot peg centered with your tripod the waves are cancelled out even more because of wave displacement.

Edited by StarDuke82
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I've never tried those pads and never felt that I needed to. I usually set up on grass and the tripod spikes just stick in the ground. I suppose if you had to set up on a patio or deck they may be useful.

I just rebuilt my deck (where I mostly observe from) with that Newtech Wood and I had to order some because that stuff transmits vibrations something terrible, I had to run a fan the other night because it about 30 C* and my scope was vibrating so bad I thought my mount was broken and I have a setup that weighs about 23 kg. They do help some but not as well as they advertise, I would say they cut Vibration down to about 1/2 to 3/4 as bad as it would be without them.

Edited by StarDuke82
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Have you thought about installing a pillar in concrete below the deck, that would sort your vibration woes for sure.

No but I had thought about re-enforcing the area where I setup my scope with four extra post and cross tie them but your suggestion sounds more economical, thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarDuke82 said:

No but I had thought about re-enforcing the area where I setup my scope with four extra post and cross tie them but your suggestion sounds more economical, thanks. 

Having a metal post sticking out of the deck may not go down well with others but it could do double duty as a bird table for example when not in astronomical use😊.

• Like 1

For vibration suppression pads, I bought 90s era pure Sorbothane insoles off of ebay and cut sections to slip under each tripod foot.  They cut vibration times with my rig from 3 seconds to 1/2 second, so I consider that a major improvement, but YMMV.

• Like 2

Sorbothane is still available on eBay in all shapes and sizes, not just for feet, but could be used in addition to the supression pads.

The use of a pillar in concrete is by far the best solution as long as the deck doesn't touch it. The idea being that as you move around the scope you don't pass on your vibration to it.

Chaz

• Like 1

Does anyone put shock absorbing material between their mount and their pier to quell vibration ringing when you touch your scope to focus it, or does everyone focus pier mounted scopes hands-off with motors?

I use rubber pucks that were intended for furniture feet, they make good cheap dampers. They have a metal insert which helps locate the tripod spikes. I bought them to prevent marking the finish of my apartment balcony, but they also perform well as dampers

From memory they were around 4 euro

68207021031454.webp.58b3642d897cc7b09f6ab3294129470e.webp

• Like 1