NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solstice ISS Transit 21st June 2023.

Steve Ward

Been meaning to test the video side of the EOS 90D for a while and this was a great opportunity.

Shot in FHD only as I need to get a faster SD card for the 4K recording , got another opportunity next week so I'll try again then

Canon EOS 90D + Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary + Baader ND 5.0 Film.

Slowed it down to 0.25x and made a looped gif in PIPP.

CLIPPEDQUIET_pipp_f169_pipp10fpsgif.gif.56e663a368c4062d85353bd1b0e9f22b.gif

And thanks to @Kon here are the single frames all stacked as it was beyond my feeble mind to figure out how to do it ... 😆

transit-resizedpng.thumb.png.503751962e2964809ebbca268e2653c3.png

transit-colour-resizedpng.thumb.png.67cc5a92b656e601199e2dfe629a1c57.png

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Kon said:

Nice capture! Try extract the frames as you can overlay them along its travel path.

Hiya ,

I've got the 25 frames saved to do just that but I have no idea how to do it ... :happy7:

Any tips would be gratefully received ... :wub:

12 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Hiya ,

I've got the 25 frames saved to do just that but I have no idea how to do it ... :happy7:

Any tips would be gratefully received ... :wub:

I have not done it yet (Saturday might be my first ever transit) but I think you need to take your frames and blend them together in any editing software. I am planning to use this link to get me going:

https://www.photographingspace.com/how-i-got-an-apod-dylan-odonnell-part-2/

I think step 19 is relevant to you.

@PeterStudz and @Pete Presland have both recently done it so they might be able to give you some tips how to do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

I have not done it yet (Saturday might be my first ever transit) but I think you need to take your frames and blend them together in any editing software. I am planning to use this link to get me going:

https://www.photographingspace.com/how-i-got-an-apod-dylan-odonnell-part-2/

I think step 19 is relevant to you.

@PeterStudz and @Pete Presland have both recently done it so they might be able to give you some tips how to do it.

Thanks Kon ,

Once it gets to the point of faffing about with layers and masks then I bow out gracefully ... I might send someone the frames if they want to have a play ... :wub: @Pete Presland

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Thanks Kon ,

Once it gets to the point of faffing about with layers and masks then I bow out gracefully ... I might send someone the frames if they want to have a play ... :wub: @Pete Presland

Happy to take a look if you want

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kon said:

Happy to take a look if you want

Thanks for the offer , the frames from the video aren't really good enough to warrant too much messing with to be honest.

I have another opportunity on Friday morning by which time I should have a Class 3 card installed so can catch in 4k , and it's a 1.3 second transit so more frames.

But if you want a play for practice then ping me your e-mail and I'll send the data over via WeTransfer ... 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Ward said:

Thanks Kon ,

You nailed it Steve, it has been a while since i played with the layers as well. I am going to have a go with the 8 frames i have, if get anywhere i will let you now 🙂 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

You nailed it Steve, it has been a while since i played with the layers as well. I am going to have a go with the 8 frames i have, if get anywhere i will let you now 🙂 

I opened all the images Steve sent me as layers and then changed from Normal mode to Dark only in Gimp. Other settings also worked but this gave the best output.