NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How long does the concrete need to harden?

CraigD1986

I set my oak beam pier in the ground on Saturday. The hole was 50cm x 50cm and 120cm deep with the beam in the middle and a 1 to 4 ratio concrete mix. I'm hoping to fit the mount and scope to do a test run before building the observatory around it. How long did you guys leave your pier to set before putting anything on it?

TIA.

It reaches 2/3 ultimate strength after about 7 days , but do not let it dry out too quickly or it could crack, cover it with a sheet and keep it damp.

I would leave it for a good 4 or 5 days.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CraigD1986 said:

I set my oak beam pier in the ground on Saturday. The hole was 50cm x 50cm and 120cm deep with the beam in the middle and a 1 to 4 ratio concrete mix. I'm hoping to fit the mount and scope to do a test run before building the observatory around it. How long did you guys leave your pier to set before putting anything on it?

TIA.

I left it alone for 10 days

Edited by iapa