Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering a standalone pier

SupernovaF1

Hello all

Just finished pouring concrete for my Altair steel pier and im patiently waiting for the concrete to cure before installing the pier.

Its going to be left permanently with a telescope (most of the time will be an 8 inch newtonian) as I want it to be always ready for usage.

I have a telegizmo cover and another cygnus cover on top of it for the time it's going to be on standby. I plan to leave the intel nuc PC on to aid condensation. Uncertain if the PC will be left at the OTA (as currently is) or at the pier.

I have a conduit cable that arrives near the pier and will finish it with a waterproof outdoor plug.

I was wondering now how to permanently power everything.  

I have a pegasus powerbox that is fed powered a small PSU, and the powerbox feeds the mount, cameras and focuser. 

Would like to hear ideas on how to power mount and telescope in  a neat way from other users.

For the time being was thinking on just using the pegasus powerbox PSU on the side of the pier. Does anybody know any waterproof enclosure just big enough to host a 240v to 12v PSU? Or ideally any alternative to neatly power the pegasus powerbox?

You all are always full of great ideas so all feedback is very welcome! :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

I use a TekPower 30A DC power supply that feed my Ultimate PowerBoxV2 (which then feed the rest of my equipment).

This has been working very well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2K263Q/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TekPower-TP30SWII-Cancelling-Analog-Switching/dp/B00L2M2Y5O/

Put in a plasric box of a proper size and you should be able to leave it at the pier all the time.

Not sure if it would work for you but this is what I did.  I got a large ip66 enclosure with rain shield ( this stops rain sitting in the gutter at the top of the enclosure door). The enclosure was then mounted about 3-4M from the pier. In the enclosure I mounted the permanently wired socket. I then installed a multiway extension lead, this just plugged into the socket, Nevada power supply and an anti condensation heater with integral thermostat. I then took an swa cable for the 12vdc from the main enclosure to a second small ip66 enclosure mounted on the pier, within this enclosure are a set of quick release connectors for the 12vdc from the Nevada. Job done. 18 months later and all good. Install all wiring to the bottom of both enclosures only. Just pop into any good electrical wholesaler and ask about the enclosures, they will be able to find one for you.

Depending on distances, I see no reason why you can't install your nuc within the main or second enclosure. All the best and food for thought.

Thanks so much both of you. Definitely lots of food for thought.

I do indeed have a nevada psu, though the bigger in size but smaller amperage version, 8A only. Looking at FLO, it confirms my concerns that such units need to be well ventilated.  Is that not a concern? I was thinking on a (smaller) laptop style PSU for that reason.

Thanks again

11 hours ago, SupernovaF1 said:

Thanks so much both of you. Definitely lots of food for thought.

I do indeed have a nevada psu, though the bigger in size but smaller amperage version, 8A only. Looking at FLO, it confirms my concerns that such units need to be well ventilated.  Is that not a concern? I was thinking on a (smaller) laptop style PSU for that reason.

Thanks again

I have an enclosure that is 150 x 600 x 800mm, this winter the Nevada was left on continuously to supply the dew heaters for getting on for three months with no challenges 🤞 

I have installed it in such a way though, that there is clear space all around. During the summer months it is left off unless I am using it so if you plan on using it for hours during the summer nights, you may want to think on ventilation for the enclosure or you could just leave the enclosure door open; just ensure that the door opens away from your telescope as the Nevada kicks out quite a bright light.

• 4 months later...
On 12/06/2023 at 10:03, M40 said:

I have an enclosure that is 150 x 600 x 800mm, this winter the Nevada was left on continuously to supply the dew heaters for getting on for three months with no challenges 🤞 

I have installed it in such a way though, that there is clear space all around. During the summer months it is left off unless I am using it so if you plan on using it for hours during the summer nights, you may want to think on ventilation for the enclosure or you could just leave the enclosure door open; just ensure that the door opens away from your telescope as the Nevada kicks out quite a bright light.

Do you happen to know which specific enclosure you bought? Would you have any pictures please? Sorry to jump on this thread but I’m seriously thinking about going this route. 

Ii bought mine from rs..... uk.rs-online.com it's an RS Pro steel wall box ip66 with backplate. 2 years later and not a sign of rust, when you drill any holes drill in the bottom only. The rain guard which doubles as a table top is just a metal plate fixed to a couple of angled brackets with a plate along the bottom to stop the tablet sliding off. You should be able to get alternatives from a local electrical wholesaler likewise a plastic enclosure is an option. Hope it helps.

Screenshot_20231107_115806_OneDrive2.thumb.jpg.dce752404bc2fb157394d7c63df369c0.jpg