Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best remote setup..

Eving all....As some of you may know I'm currently controlling the scope via a 4 port star tech usb cat5 extender and I have a "feeling" this may be causing a few issues. 

I'm running a Eq5 pro mount, asi120 guide cam and nikon d5300. What would be a "bulletproof" way to connect that up to the remote pc. Not worried about portability and it would always be connected to the mains. Ideally something that also has room to grow, connection wise

Cheap PC on the pier is the most reliable in my opinion, I've got a Dell Optiplex on the pier that has 6 usb ports, never have any issues. If you need to expand the number of ports then the Pegasus usb hub or advanced power boxes are good.

• Like 2

I have a HUNSN industrial PC in the observatory that is connected to a Pegasus Advanced Powerbox on the scope, to which the mount, camera and filter wheel, guide camera and dew straps are then connected.  The HUNSN PC is connected to the desktop PC indoors via a 20-meter ethernet cable.  This has proved to be a very reliable connection indeed. 

The HUNSN PC (which is also connected to a Talon roof opener and Dragonfly relay switch that allows the Powerbox to be turned on and off remotely) is also connected to our home router so that it can be controlled from anywhere in the world over the Internet using port forwarding.  That connection is also reliable but can drop out if there are ever any difficulties with the Internet.

• Like 1

Mini-PC scopeside to which you connect to via wi-fi or a wired lan connection from your home computer/remote desktop? This way you keep all the important cables short and let the scopeside mini-PC do all the work.

The ASIAIR is kind of the same, but you permanently lock yourself out from non ZWO cameras and other equipment. You are also stuck with the software it has. Since you mentioned wanting to have room to grow the mini-PC option ticks more boxes for sure.

I host a robotic shed. I've replaced lots of astro mini-computers but I've yet to replace a bog standard desktop next to the mount.

On 09/06/2023 at 20:46, SamAndrew said:

Cheap PC on the pier is the most reliable in my opinion, I've got a Dell Optiplex on the pier that has 6 usb ports, never have any issues. If you need to expand the number of ports then the Pegasus usb hub or advanced power boxes are good.

Agreed. As a robotic scope host I've replaced lots of astro-specific mini computers but those rigs with a desktop near the mount just cruise on and on.  I'd choose a desktop with enough USB ports to avoid hubs any day.

Olly

• Like 1

I use a HP mini computer which has 6 USB 3 ports and one USB C port as well as a gigabit Ethernet port.  It has an i7 processor and 16 GB of ram and a 1TB SSD so it can run all my favorite imaging software.  I remote into it with Remote Desktop and the best part is it cost lest than the ASIair.

Imaging Rig-02-lbl3.jpg

GEM45-C8-1-sm.JPG

Imaging Rig-01 crop.JPG

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 1