Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrade options? Help

Hey guys, I've been practicing some imaging on my canon M3, a 50mm and my star adventurer, feel pretty comfortable with that set up and really want to move to a mount and telescope set up. I've already set aside money for am5. I already have a c8 edge that I've been using for observing. My question is, is the c8 going to be too much for me to get started? I can always buy a small refractor but as I already had the c8 I thought I'd ask.

Hi there I have a 81mm W O gt which I image with all the time,a small scope is very forgiving with imaging, I think you would get some very good results with a small scope,that's just my opinion,from my own experience. Good luck with your imaging, remember if you like your results that's what matters 

• Like 2

C8 on the AM5 will work, you just need to prepare to “bin” the data as you’ll be over sampling. You’ll have a limited field of view given the focal length, so object choice and framing will be important. If you’re not guiding you’ll want to budget for a guide scope and camera to allow you to do long exposure. 

The c8 is a slow scope, so you need long exposures. For that to work, you need good guiding (ideally a guide error less than half your imaging "/pixel). That's going to be a big step up from a star adventurer and a 50 mm lens. As @Albir phil wrote, you may get more out of a small refractor, 70 - 90 mm at f/6 or so. Then when you've learned the basics, you can always put your c8 on the mount.

Either way, what do you intend to photograph? Nebulae or galaxies? Galaxies require a longer focal length and lower "/pixel than nebulae.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shaztronomer said:

50mm and my star adventurer

Hi

How about a 135mm or 200mm lens to complement your 50mm? They'd be fine on the sa. Good ones to look out for are the old Takumars which will fit your M3 with a cheap adapter. If you're any good at online auction, they go for around €50.

Cheers and HTH 

Edited by alacant