NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The gang's all here!

Just in the process of sorting out the new place and happy to report I now have a dedicated telescope cupboard 😍

Whilst building the shelves and organising I couldn't resist the opportunity for a family picture, especially since some of these scopes have never met until now! 

From top to bottom:

Charles Frank 6" newt 

Bresser AR-152S

TS102 F7 ED

Cheapo 60mm achro

SW Evostar 80ED 

William Optics ZS73

Celestron Travelscope 70

Celestron C6

SW Skymax 102 

SW Evoguide 50ED (modified) 

The scope cupboard is in beta at the moment, I've had a quick play around but changes are needed. I have one box of bits from storage that needs going through including a work in progress 10" mirror, but overall I'm pretty happy with how things have worked out! 

20230517_123704.jpg

20230517_123638.jpg

20230517_134204.jpg

Edited by badhex
  • Like 21

3 minutes ago, Priesters said:

I’ll be using this thread as ‘evidence’ with my CFO next time I get the urge to expand my humble 2 scope collection 😂

My CFO can't understand why I have 2 telescopes; she thinks that is 2 too many :) 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Priesters said:

I’ll be using this thread as ‘evidence’ with my CFO next time I get the urge to expand my humble 2 scope collection 😂

10 minutes ago, saac said:

My CFO can't understand why I have 2 telescopes; she thinks that is 2 too many :) 

Jim 

Well, if it pleases the court may I present mitigating circumstances in that half of this lot spent 8 years in storage so I ended up with another collection of the same size - and now they are all together? 😂

• Haha 2

I need to learn your negotiation skills.  Was the argument not put forward that you could simply remove a scope from storage instead of purchasing another, or were your scopes in storage in a different country? Sorry, I’m beginning to sound like my own CFO now.  Just to be clear, there is no judgement here and SGL remains a safe place to share scope collections. 😂

Edited by Priesters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, badhex said:

Well, if it pleases the court may I present mitigating circumstances in that half of this lot spent 8 years in storage so I ended up with another collection of the same size - and now they are all together? 😂

Joe you are an inspiration and we are willing to learn :) 

Jim 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Priesters said:

I need to learn your negotiation skills.  Was the argument not put forward that you could simply remove a scope from storage instead of purchasing another, or were your scopes in storage in a different country? Sorry, I’m beginning to sound like my own CFO now.  Just to be clear, there is no judgement here and SGL remains a safe place to share scope collections. 😂

So, yes we moved countries and all scopes were put into storage - we literally took two bags with us not knowing how it would turn out and ended up there for 8 years! That said, actually my partner and I discuss our hobbies and interests very openly so there's no need for negotiation as such 🙂

Edited by badhex
  • Like 3

I've reorganised a little bit and added some "safety" features to the cupboard.

I've installed a hook and eye setup with an ever so slightly taut octopus clip to stop the non-cased scopes from falling over. There's a hook in the middle doing double duty; it keeps the two scopes from falling into each other, and additionally allows one scope to be removed easily, with the other still reasonably safely secured until you have your hands free to reattach the cord. 

I've also added a folded transport blanket for some padding until I can get round to putting some custom cut foam there. At the same time I'm considering padding the walls with some camping mat so the scopes don't bash against the wall either.

20230519_134411.thumb.jpg.b896a1a4820ec11841897d057b7ea6d8.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/05/2023 at 17:07, badhex said:

Just in the process of sorting out the new place and happy to report I now have a dedicated telescope cupboard 😍

Whilst building the shelves and organising I couldn't resist the opportunity for a family picture, especially since some of these scopes have never met until now! 

From top to bottom:

Charles Frank 6" newt 

Bresser AR-152S

TS102 F7 ED

Cheapo 60mm achro

SW Evostar 80ED 

William Optics ZS73

Celestron Travelscope 70

Celestron C6

SW Skymax 102 

SW Evoguide 50ED (modified) 

The scope cupboard is in beta at the moment, I've had a quick play around but changes are needed. I have one box of bits from storage that needs going through including a work in progress 10" mirror, but overall I'm pretty happy with how things have worked out! 

20230517_123704.jpg

20230517_123638.jpg

20230517_134204.jpg

That is nice and tidy 

9 hours ago, Mike Q said:

That is nice and tidy 

Thanks! I had a decent setup in my old flat, but not as much space and it often required getting several things out just to get to one thing, so it should be much easier here.

Digging through a storage box of telescope stuff I found a Meade 492 DS motor upgrade kit and a couple of autostar handsets!

As I recall I had planned to fit them to the old LXD-55 clone I have (I think it might be a Bresser Mon-2) but I'd completely forgotten that I had all this stuff. 

Things have come on so much in the last 8 years in terms of functionality and affordability that I'm actually not sure it's even worth the trouble. Considering whether to save it all for a rainy day project or just move everything on as a project for someone else - but not even sure if any of it would be of use to anyone else? 

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I'm just honest with my CFO, she understands why I have three, I explained one is for the sun, one for planets and moon and one for galaxies,.

That leaves room for at least five more telescopes: one each for globular clusters, open clusters, double stars, nebula, and finally one for grab-and-go. You’ve already compromised by combining the planets and moon, which are clearly completely distinct celestial objects, and so you’re entitled to at least a couple of more scopes!

• Haha 2