Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gremlins AZ EQ6

All setup last night for the first clear night in eons. About to test my brand new triplet in M13. When attempting to use my AZ EQ6 I ran into an unusual issue. My mount RA axis would not function properly. It was being controlled by my ASIAIR Plus and although it would do a 60 degree rotation when doing a PA routine; when I attempted to go to a target, only Dec worked. When I attempted to go to home position, again only the Dec axis moved. 

At first, I thought it maybe a ASAIR plus problem, but when I setup my ASAIR mini, I encountered the same issue. Both my ASAIR's work fine with my other mount. Then I thought about power as these Sky Watcher mounts are temperamental if the correct flow isn’t available. But this wasn’t the issue either.

I attempted to use the Sync Scan hand controller to try and identify the issue, but I got an error message stating "Caution - both axis nonresponsive" (please see attached image). Therefore, I interpret as a mount hardware issue. 

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1831.jpeg

IMG_1833.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpeg

IMG_1832.jpeg

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Power supply ok?

Hi Jeremy, yes sir. Power is fine. I’ve been around the track a few times over last couple of years regarding power to the Sky Watcher mount. I’m on top of it in that regard, but this appears to be something else all together. 

• Like 1

Can you redo the polar alignment routine where both axes worked? If that still works, I’d say a software issue is the more likely cause.

You can also check under the hood if cable connectors etc are ok.

Edited by wimvb

This is a really puzzling one as you state that it was slewing in both axis when doing an alignment routine, but subsequent goto's only the DEC was fine, and with the handset both axis are not responding.

With the handset connected directly to the mount and the mount powered on the handset will send an initial command of :e1 and :e2  which communicate with the microcontroller (either two 16F886's or an ARM chip) and should result in the card version and firmware version being returned.  If nothing comes back then the handset displays the "No response both axis" message.  I was going to suggest the issue could be with the EQDIR / USB cable used to connect the mount to the computer, but the fact you get the same issue with the handset (assuming the correct cable and port is used) would rule that out.

From the first image I can's see any cable connected to the mount - can you elaborate how you are connecting the mount to the control computer? - If using a bluetooth or wi-fi adapter try removing it and using a dedicated EQDIR cable, or if your mount has a built in USB port, then use a short A-B USB cable and set the corresponding port that the computer assigns to 115200 baud rather the the default 9600 required for the EQDIR cable.  If you are just using the handset and standard curly RJ cable, thus removing the computer from the equation, and neither now respond then it would seem that the mainboard has developed a fault (probably a blown Q3 if its a new board with USB).

• Like 1

Hi Malc,

I tried both Baud settings with both my EQMOD cable and a USB port cable. Neither worked. This was via two different ASIAIR’s, the latter of which are working perfectly. When I was doing the PA routine, the mount done its 60 degrees tilt in RA and the plate solving was completed. From that point on, whenever I selected an object to GOTO, only the Dec axis would work. This was also the case when I send a command for the mount to go to home position. I needed to manually adjust the RA position. 

I got in touch with RVO and they believe the motherboard is at fault. I’m sending it in to let them take a look and if needed fit a new one before testing.

If it is the motherboard I’m not impressed. I purchased brand new two years ago and due to my working overseas, I reckon I’ve used it a max of a dozen times. I’d say the build quality is questionable, but I’ll reserve judgement until RVO take a look 

IMO if the mount responds to the commands to rotate in RA when doing the plate solving, but then fails with any goto commands then there is no hardware fault with the motherboard.  Before you send the board back to RVO can you try one thing.  On a normal windows PC (not an ASIAR device) install ASCOM and EQMOD.  Connect the mount and using the EQMOD Toolbox utility set up EQMOD to use the correct port and setting for whatever cable (EQDIR or USB) used.  Then launch EQMOD, set the slew speed to 4 and click and hold each of the NSEW buttons to see if the mount moves.  If when trying to connect to EQMOD via he Toolbox utility EQMOD keeps launching and then closes with a comms error then this would indeed confirm the issue is with the motherboard in the mount.

If it seems to work without any errors then try running the attached application which uses raw commands to interrogate the mount and produce a report like the example below

Untitled.thumb.png.564723aaa9145ad890f1f68073aba58a.png

If RVO say the replacement is chargeable as the rig is outside the normal warranty period you may still have a case under UK consumer law as given the price of the mount you would expect it to last a reasonable amount of time or use, and clearly as this has low mileage you have a strong argument. 

Regretfully as you have mentioned the fact you have tried a USB cable to connect the mount to the PC (which basically is what the ASAIR is) the control board is likely to be one of the ARM based boards and I lack the equipment to be able to replace the processor and reprogram the board for you.  This would be a last resort should the purchase of a replacement seem the only option left. 

You are right about the design, in that there is very little protection against over voltage or to prevent the serial ports in the processors being blown.  And the replacement cost is anywhere between £100 - £160 depending on the mount.  However I'm sure the guys at RVO will sort thing out for you should the board prove to be faulty.  

SyntaTester3906 (1).zip

• Like 1

Hi Malc,

Thank you! That’s great advice. I’ll try with the PC as per your guidance and see how it goes. Hopefully I get a result and can crack on without need for replacement parts etc. 

I’ll keep you and others updated 👍

• Like 1

On 17/05/2023 at 13:35, recceranger said:

Hi Malc,

Thank you! That’s great advice. I’ll try with the PC as per your guidance and see how it goes. Hopefully I get a result and can crack on without need for replacement parts etc. 

I’ll keep you and others updated 👍

Quick update. Unfortunately none of the procedures worked. I’ve sent mount head back to RVO for an investigation. Hopefully I get it sorted. 

TY Malc👍