Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StarMap Pro on iPhone/iTouch

I downloaded the original version a while back now and have been using it more as a guide to what's up there, helping me to learn the constellations. And exceptionally handy having it in my pocket all the time.

Starmap

They have now recently released a Pro version. At £11.99 i thought this may be a bit on the expensive side for an iPhone app. But seriously i cannot stress how AMAZING this app is.

Take a look at the site, and there is a movie showing off the major features, many useful features, too many to list, but there is one which i absolutely must highlight.

The ability to input your telescope and eyepiece to the app (and its got telerad finder on it!) and simply turning over the phone switches it from the sky view to the eyepiece view you have programmed in, and within that you can then (by pinch gesture) move through your EP collection.

I tested this on Procyon, as its bright and easily findable (for a beginner) checked the view for the EP i had in my scope, and the field of view, and position and scale was spot on, i could see the same grouping of stars around it. And in fact identified that it was Procyon because of the star pattern around it.

I agree it doesn't give you the detail that Stellarium does, and its quite small being on the iPhone, but as a simple reference tool so i can confirm i am seeing what i am seeing it gets my top vote.

Yup I've been using the first version for a while and love it ,

A godsend when doing a 3 star alignment I'm terrible with names and quite forgetfull ,very handy and a night (red)screen too boot gets my vote

Matt,

Thanks for the heads up on this - I have the regular version, and knew they were working on the pro version, but hadn't checked back in ages. I had a look through the screenshots, and it looks very good, so I'm going to check out the movie later.

Dave.

samtheeagle,

seriously get an iPhone and dump that dodgy windows mobile. regular software updates, new features being released, an incredibly wide software library already. i had an old windows handheld a few years ago, and just found it impossibly complicated for something that should have been simple. soon enough we'll have background apps running (apart form the phone and sms stuff) which will 'hopefully' allow someone to create software to turn the whole interface red (much like DarkAdapted on my Macbook, does the whole graphics setting to work in red to save night vision), why, well i nearly blinded myself sending a text, and twittering the other night whilst observing even with the brightness right down.

Heh heh, iPhone fanatic alert! :) I'm sure that they are excellent, but they are a tad expensive...

I've settled on Astromist, it looks bloomin awesome. Maybe not quite as flashy as the iPhone stuff, but packed full of useful features :) Will be perfect for when I'm out under a clear sky wondering what to look at next... Beats lugging the laptop along that's for sure!

Archived