Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starhopping under city skies

The60mmKid

I live in north London (Islington, so pretty abysmal LP) and star hop - I tend to use a Telrad (hideous looking thing but there’s a reason it’s so popular) and a 6x30 or 7x50 RACI. They work very nicely together despite the light pollution. I also have Telrad circles on Sky Safari for further help.

On 10/06/2023 at 06:15, Saganite said:

That, I like very much.  I have just lately been toying with the idea of using a dedicated tablet instead of my phone, an idea given to me by Stephenstargazer on this forum.

Lately I've been occasionally using an iPad that my wife got several years ago to run SkySafari .  I still usually use my phone out of habit, but I have to say the much larger screen is a lot easier to read.  Being able to take notes with a stylus could be quite convenient.  And the aging battery on the iPad is getting to the point where it needs a charge after a couple of hours.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried to take notes on an iPad using a stylus with the iPad screen in red mode only?

I get the feeling that even using a tablet or phone in red mode will still impact vision at nigh time, of course the impact will be related to the skies the observation is under.

On 18/08/2023 at 09:14, Deadlake said:

Has anyone tried to take notes on an iPad using a stylus with the iPad screen in red mode only?

I get the feeling that even using a tablet or phone in red mode will still impact vision at nigh time, of course the impact will be related to the skies the observation is under.

I haven't, but the e-ink tablet that I mentioned earlier (or a similar one) circumvents this issue nicely.

3 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

I haven't, but the e-ink tablet that I mentioned earlier (or a similar one) circumvents this issue nicely.

The more digging on this any screen you can see from more then 30 cm is too bright ( effect on night vision ), I’ll be using the nexus and a voice to text program.

• Like 1