Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gifted Meade telescope

It's an ETX model.  Since you didn't take any photographs of the front of the optical tube with the cap off, that about all I can be sure of.  Take the cap off and take a photo of the writing around the front lens and post it here.

Based on its size, I'd say it's either their ETX-60 or ETX-70 model.  I don't think it's the ETX-80.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to SGL, you’ve come to the right place, lots of folk here ready to help😊

A good start would be to do as suggested by Louis D in post #2

The various ETX scopes were all “go to” technology. That is once correctly set up, use the handset to let the built in motors find your desired object. Once found the scope should follow the object to compensate for earth’s rotation. Sometimes it’s not quite that simple, but that’s the intention if everything is correctly set up and working as it should!

From the pic I can’t see the handset, do you have that?  It’s an oblong shape with lots of buttons. What’s the tripod on the left?  Doesn’t look like the regular ETX metal tripod.

A good start would be to open the battery compartment. Hopefully the batteries previously used have not leaked. Replace with good quality batteries. Cheap batteries are a bad idea, and keep at least one spare set.

Please come back with that photo when you can😊

• Like 1

Oh wow thank you!!! …I am still figuring out this forum, sorry for the late reply! There is a hand set, on to the photos! 
I can’t believe how helpful this space is! Get it…’space’ ha! 

I see ETX 60 on the lens! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Not a bad little gift you've received there 👍

Here's a link for the manual in case it helps - https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/1165168/

Looks like someone has gotten rid of the original shaky tripod and fitted it with a wooden one which should give you a bit more stability 🤞

If you are starting at this new, I'd recommend a couple of things, firstly, read the manual it will help you understand what's what. Secondly make sure to have a little practice in the daytime so you know how to set it all up (it's easier to understand it all in the daylight) DO NOT POINT IT ANYWHERE NEAR THE SUN! - can't emphasise that enough, it can, and will do serious damage! Lastly to start off use the lowest powered eyepiece, this is the one with the highest number on it, so from the pictures it is 25mm, many beginners will try to use the highest power one first. I helped out someone recently with a 70mm refractor and couldn't see anything, when I got there, he had a 3X barlow and 4mm eyepiece in the scope, minutes later we were looking at the moon with much more sensible power.

Last of all, enjoy it! Those first few objects through the scope will stick with you for a long time 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ashleyneby said:

Wow, thank you from the bottom of my heart! 

Once I can get it rolling, my daughters are really going to enjoy this experience. ♥️

Another welcome to the forum.

You might be surprised how much you enjoy it too!

This hobby is quite habit forming.

3 hours ago, Ashleyneby said:

Wow, thank you from the bottom of my heart! 

Once I can get it rolling, my daughters are really going to enjoy this experience. ♥️

I'm sure they will love it, it was my daughter that got me back into it, now she tells me it's too cold and I'm the daft one outside in the icy weather 😂 she's a fair weather astronomer 

• Haha 1