Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More Galaxy Hunting

Sam

I started out with M51 to check how good the evenings observing was going to be. Plenty of detail in the spiral arms but no bridge between the two galaxies this time. Tonights observing was all about the galaxies around Canes Venatici. I observed these last year with my 8" scope so it was going to be fun to compare with the views through the 16".

After seeing TJ's great image of M63, I thought it would be good to compare what was visible. The core was quite bright and there was a tight halo around it. There also appeared to be some mottling around the core. M94 was next on the list with a nice

bright core and another halo around it, no detail visible.

After warming up with the bright galaxies it was time to get into something a bit trickier. The first one was NGC4490, which is quite bright edge on galaxy. Back to the right a bit closer to Chara is neat little galaxy NGC4485 which is another edge on galaxy and quite small, last year I could not find this one in the 8" but this year it was very easy and it's little companion NGC4490 was also visible as a little smudge next to it.

NGC4449 was next, this looked like another edge on but with a funny shape at one end, a bit like a fan. It was very easy to see with uneven brightness along it (a quick check of the internet shows it's an irregular galaxy, which explains the funny shape). NGC4460 was another edge on with a bright core. Off to the right of Canes Venatici was a little bright galaxy called NGC4369, very easy to find. NGC4244 was next which is a very long edge on and shows just the hint of a brighter region in the middle.

NGC4214 looked quite bright with a halo around it. I spent quite a while on this galaxy because it just showed a hint of slightly elongated core. NGC4203 was a little one to the right and is another small bright galaxy. The next one was a real challenge as it has very low surface brightness but is quite big. It was a real averted vision job finding NGC4395 but quite rewarding when I finally detected a slight change in the background contrast.

Back towards the centre star of Canes Venatici are two edge on galaxies that are quite close to each other NGC4631 is the brightest and longer one of the two but NGC4656 is still very impressive. The last bunch of galaxies just before the clouds rolled in were around NGC4278. This area is just above the top of Coma Berenices and the quick glimpse of the galaxy showed a bunch of other galaxies in the vicinity.

In between galaxy observing sessions I had a good look at Saturn. The shadow of the rings were visible on the planet as was some banding. Four moons were visible as well. Saturn always looks great. The 16" worked very well with the counterbalance system made from rope and a 2L milk bottle.:)

Sam

Great report Sam.

I have yet to do a detailed study of that area but have had a fleeting glance and like you say there are loads of slight changes in background colour. it's just knowing which one is which.

I'm glad your counterweight system worked, maybe patent it and sell it to FLO :)

Thanks Carol, there's a lot of fuzzies in that part of the sky!

Doc, you could spend ages in that area it's very busy and there looks like an interesting galaxy cluster just above Coma Berenices which I'll be revisiting next time it's clear.:)

Yeah the counterbalance works a treat! I can't believe I didn't work that out ages ago. It makes a huge difference and I don't have to tighten the friction knob at all now. Version two will use fencing wire (number 8) instead of rope and an old gumboot (wellington) with a brick in it for the weight LOL - that'll be the production run:)

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice report Lightbucket, so many galaxies in your list :) !

I will try to find some of them from my home garden, I specially fancy the edge-on types. Canes Venatici is nicely high now, so the light pollution has less effect. For more serious galaxy hunting I will visit a dark site hopefully soon.

cheers,

Janos

Archived