Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fitting ED80T CF focuser to GSO RC 6

Hi All,

I have a strange one, that im really hoping someone can help with

I am looking to use my focuser from the Orion ED80T CF on my StellaLyra RC6, as the stock focuser on the RC6 is total garbage and ideally, I don't want to buy a new focuser. 

I saw the Baader Steeltrack focuser that is for refractors, has an adapter to fit the M90 thread on the RC6, so I am hoping that there is some other adapter to attach the focuser I already have

The issue I have now is I don't know what thread is on the Orion scope and Orion themselves have no idea what thread it is... If anyone can help with this, I would be so grateful. Really want the RC6 going for galaxy season and really don't want to spend £330 on a new focuser haha

thanks 

matt 

4 hours ago, dunners19871 said:

Hi All,

I have a strange one, that im really hoping someone can help with

I am looking to use my focuser from the Orion ED80T CF on my StellaLyra RC6, as the stock focuser on the RC6 is total garbage and ideally, I don't want to buy a new focuser. 

I saw the Baader Steeltrack focuser that is for refractors, has an adapter to fit the M90 thread on the RC6, so I am hoping that there is some other adapter to attach the focuser I already have

The issue I have now is I don't know what thread is on the Orion scope and Orion themselves have no idea what thread it is... If anyone can help with this, I would be so grateful. Really want the RC6 going for galaxy season and really don't want to spend £330 on a new focuser haha

thanks 

matt 

Get your local engineering shop to make one, or email https://moonrakertelescopes.co.uk/contact.html  and ask to make an adapter.

1 minute ago, dunners19871 said:

problem is, i dont know what size thread the focuser has, so don't know what to be asking for

thanks 

matt 

No harm in asking in an email, might have to send your focuser just to be belt and braces..

yeah, i was hoping there might be a common thread size for which there is an off-the-shelf adapter. looking at preciseparts.com, they can make one, but its $170. FLO have an adapter for the Baader focuser to the RC6 and its £30 haha ideally I want something that price 

If you have a local engineering company near you, give them a ring and if they want to proceed take the RC6 & focuser, they will manufacture an adaptor to suit. no need to understand thread sizes etc..

Good luck

Steve