SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pulling my hair out: Random mount and guide scope disconnects

Gone through the hoops on this one.

Asi Air pro, Vixen SXD2/Starbook 10, 533MC Pro main, 178MM guide

When taking a sequence of guided light frames, I will get random disconnects (maybe two per session) of BOTH mount and guide camera. No warning. No alert. Guide graph just stops, main camera will continue shooting. Mount (I think) keeps tracking separately

Both mount AND guide scope will be greyed out in the AAP app and I have to flip the screen toggles back on. Guide camera usually shows up as 'none'. Usually have to re-select the 178MM although sometimes it isn't there (no option but none)

So...... I can get that a USB or camera issue could cause a dropped connection, but what would cause both mount and guide camera to disconnect simultaneously?

AAP is connected to a 750 Slate router by shielded LAN. LAN connection to SB10.  There is a 5GHz Wifi connection from tablet to router.

I've changed all the original USB cables to good quality aftermarket ones, all bundled and secured. I have separate 13.6V supplies to mount, AAP, and 533MC camera so I'm pretty sure it's not power or voltage related. I've even added a Pegasus Powerbox Micro to take the load off the ASI Air Bus but no change...

Really baffled as to what could be causing this.

Are you using 5.5 x 2.1mm 12v cables? I noticed with my pro when using 2.5mm cables that there was lateral movement around the centre pin, it never did happen when imaging but if I moved the cable manually near the 12v in port, it'd cause the asiair to restart.

The latest firmware version of the asiair has also caused me many frustrated sessions enough for me to revert to an old app version and old firmware version (pre v2.0 app version and pre 10.46 firmware version).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

This has happened to me only once where the mount just disconnected and the aa+ locked up. Moving between two targets a neighbours house rudely jumped into the way and the whole lot just stopped. To reset it was power down goto home and start again, carefully avoiding said neighbours house. It may have been coincidence for me, but, did you by any chance cross something that blocked your telescopes view? If not, it would at least rule it out. All the best.

I would be trying a computer to run the cameras & mount instead of the ASI Air to see it the issue stops or not.  If it doesn't appear when the ASI Air is removed then it is likely the problem is with that.  If it doesn't disappear then further investigation is required.

On 17/04/2023 at 20:49, Elp said:

Are you using 5.5 x 2.1mm 12v cables? I noticed with my pro when using 2.5mm cables that there was lateral movement around the centre pin, it never did happen when imaging but if I moved the cable manually near the 12v in port, it'd cause the asiair to restart.

The latest firmware version of the asiair has also caused me many frustrated sessions enough for me to revert to an old app version and old firmware version (pre v2.0 app version and pre 10.46 firmware version).

Yes, and I've tried changing cables to no avail. I'm sure its not a power disconnect, that would drop the main camera too. The Asi Air is not restarting, I just loose the mount and guide cam connection.

On 18/04/2023 at 13:41, M40 said:

This has happened to me only once where the mount just disconnected and the aa+ locked up. Moving between two targets a neighbours house rudely jumped into the way and the whole lot just stopped. To reset it was power down goto home and start again, carefully avoiding said neighbours house. It may have been coincidence for me, but, did you by any chance cross something that blocked your telescopes view? If not, it would at least rule it out. All the best.

Cheers, no. I was out last night and it dropped the mount and guide cam three times in a three hour session. No pattern to the disconnect as far as i can tell

On 18/04/2023 at 14:03, wongataa said:

I would be trying a computer to run the cameras & mount instead of the ASI Air to see it the issue stops or not.  If it doesn't appear when the ASI Air is removed then it is likely the problem is with that.  If it doesn't disappear then further investigation is required.

I'm heading towards a mini PC Nina set up. In the meantime I'll try pulling a cable or two in sequence to see if I can trigger the same disconnects

• 7 months later...

When I had random disconnects of the main camera I traced it down to the usb WiFi extender drawing too much power out of the air, dew heaters also do this. Took them out and powered them separately and no more camera disconnects.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/12/2023 at 13:51, ShumittoSan said:

Have you found a solution?  I have almost the same setup and also get random disconnections from the mount and the guidecam.  Sometimes it lasts two hours and sometimes just twenty minutes.

Not solved, but the disconnects are much less. Im happy with the Vixen mount. It works very well. Only nuisance is I have to keep an eye on the tracking whilst imaging. If it does, I have to reconnect, plate solve back to target, restart guiding. Doesn't take long and it is infrequent now

I think it is a problem on the ASI side, either software, cable, USB socket or maybe power. I noticed it happened on one occasion during an autofocus routine. Its also usually very cold here

I've changed USB cables to good quality, secured all cables with strain relief ties, and added a pegasus mini power box to supply camera, dew heaters and Asi Air. I also have a 240v power supply when imaging at home. I use a mini router on the Asi Air and one on the SB10, to eliminate the network patch cable

I really should switch to mini PC and NINA, but ASI is so simple.. when it works

Edited by 900SL

Not 100% sure if I’m understanding your connections properly (because I’m not au fait with the ASIAir). But I would often get Wi-Fi disconnects from my AZ-GTi in the early days. It became much more reliable after I swapped the Wi-Fi to a different channel. Presumably because there was too much nearby traffic on that channel. 

If you use an Asiair with an azgti for AP you don't use the azgti WiFi, you connect them together with an eqdir or eqmod cable and control the mount through the air, which you can use WiFi to connect to.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1