NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'AI' Images Gallery

powerlord

Starting a thread for folk to post ai images they've generated just for general interest.

This is mine from mid journey* just now

"photo of spiral galaxy showing dust lanes and areas of ha nebolosity"

powerlord_8k_photo_of_spiral_galaxy_showing_dust_lanes_and_area_5a60a4d3-733c-49ac-9778-d37e1d551aeb.png.56a14fb8e3c2fa61357e60ca3d658735.png

I'd be quite pleased with that result. 🙂

*for those not in the know mid journey is one of the leading hires ai image generators at the moment.. It really is quite extraordinary. On an unrelated topic here's what it created for "a sentient badger from a badger society who have reached the technological level of the industrial revolution. in formal attire, driving a steam power motor vehicle"

powerlord_a_sentient_badger_from_a_badger_society_who_have_reac_9591840f-0258-4225-9d27-bc7b91b3ed01.png

• Like 5

Oh, and I've signed up to the paid service for at least a month ($8 - bargain) - so have 200 pics I can generate.. so feel free to post your own suggestions and I will choose some to ask it to do.

On which - it's worth trying to learn the new language of 'speaking to an AI' - though they have now passed the Turing test, it's best to be description where you have firm ideas, etc. But other than that it can pretty much do anything. you can ask for a photo, or a drawing in pencil, or a painting in the style of dali, or whatever you want. some examples so you get the idea (some of the latest from the MJ  discord chat):

"photorealistic short woman standing full size in long wide jeans on white background. Use a 100mm lens at F 1.2 aperture setting and ultra-detailed lighting to capture the subject"

"dashboard layout for finance team, with background of the Pevensie children journeyed through the snow-covered forests of Narnia, they suddenly heard the distant sound of a hunting horn echoing through the trees. They knew that the White Witch and her army were close behind, and they needed to find a safe place to hide before they were discovered. But just as they were about to set off in search of shelter, they stumbled upon a mysterious cave hidden in the side of a steep hill. The entrance was partially concealed by a veil of icicles, but the children could hear the sound of rushing water echoing from within. With no other options, they cautiously entered the cave, hoping it would provide them with a temporary refuge from their pursuers. --ar 16:9 "

"Simple and highly detailed schematic of the boolean logical function XOR with a parametrical approach, designed by mathematical rules. Monochrome, black on white background. --ar 2:3"

"a pixar 3d charecter teenage boy and girl and the boy waring glasses with a sea beatch background"

"This is a hyper-detailed mockup of a Liqueur glas bottle product, the Liqueur has a fresh and vibrant red colorway. he Liqueur glas bottle is set against an off white background that adds an element of playfulness to the design. The mockup has been rendered in a ray-trace style, which adds to the overall realism and depth of the image. --iw 1 --v 5 --s 750"

hopefully that gives you the idea. get imagining!

5 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

Interesting, but I'm not sure what the positive use is of this technology. Entertainment I suppose. I can see plenty of negative uses though!

I can certainly see a lot of use in the creative industries.  Even just for personal hobby use, making cards, posters, backdrops etc. 

Jim 

Midjourney is crazy, been following its rise with great interest. I can see some real world changes in some creative fields with the rise of image generating AI.

Think of video game development for instance. The AI could spit out an endless barrage of hallucinated images in the same timescale as an artist comes up with one or two concepts.

• Like 1

I do share some concern though as with @PeterC65 re negative possibilities.  Certainly wouldn't want to see artificial images being offered as "real" in any field. Particularly important in law, science, medical and a host of other fields to guarantee authenticity. I wonder if any though is being given to tagging such with some form of digital fingerprint - if that is even possible.

That aside, I think these can be captivating images.  @powerlord  I do like the sentient badger , absolutely gorgeous. :)  It reminds me of the worlds and creations of HG Wells. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

**a photo realistic 8k image of the black hole at the centre of our galaxy** - <@859533282386247691> (Waiting to start)

powerlord_a_photo_realistic_8k_image_of_the_black_hole_at_the_c_134902eb-d370-4409-a869-0d0c24f0ff12.png.9a6f4a1df98a3ce770fd6ccbde9379f7.png

**an image of the Earth as observed thru an 8" newtonian telescope with a 5mm eye piece, from the surface of the Mars** - <@859533282386247691> (fast)

No idea what it's up to here...

powerlord_an_image_of_the_Earth_as_observed_thru_an_8_newtonian_49aaaa6d-1195-4a87-8bd4-c418b2aad836.png

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 1

I think any image these days can have manipulated and photoshopped in so many ways. This takes it to a new level, but I think the take away is still more of a general don't trust anything you see unless from a trusted source, just like don't trusting anything you READ unless from a trusted source.

I do think we're at a new dawn of IT - a sort of late 90S TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION over again.. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this sort of stuff, chatgpt, etc. We are going to see the next set of billionaire startup companies in the next few years for sure.

• Like 1

I can see this technology replacing human graphic designers in many applications.

My concern is that most people take what they see, and perhaps to a lesser extent read, as being the truth. It is hard to shift people from a position once established even when they know it is false, so technologies like this just add a very powerful weapon to those who wish to manipulate us. As ever, the regulation of technology lags way behind its development, the developers of technology wash their hands of responsibility for any unwanted consequences (they say they cannot be responsible for how people use their technology), and we wait to regulate until after there has been a major disaster.

Personally I enjoy probing the limitations of technology like this. Even when asked specifically to generate a view through a Newtonian telescope the AI comes up with (artistic) gibberish. I enjoy playing this sort of game with Alexa (when visiting the in-laws - I refuse to have one in the house).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

It's a shame it does not understand the concept of a planet seen thru a telescope.

Maybe the word 'thru' rather than "through" threw it, though I would have thought it can see through these colloquial vocabulary shortcuts.

Perhaps retry with something like: **an image of the Earth as observed from the surface of the Mars using an 8" newtonian telescope with a 5mm eyepiece**

4 minutes ago, globular said:

Maybe the word 'thru' rather than "through" threw it, though I would have thought it can see through these colloquial vocabulary shortcuts.

Perhaps retry with something like: **an image of the Earth as observed from the surface of the Mars using an 8" newtonian telescope with a 5mm eyepiece**

To be honest, I was not aware that thru is informal variant. I was under impression that both are the same / interchangeable - just different spelling.

12 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

To be honest, I'm rather surprised by black hole images.

It's a shame it does not understand the concept of a planet seen thru a telescope.

I suspect, as with the text variant ChatGPT, that framing of the input request is hugely important to the form of the output. 

Jim 

**a photo of the planet Earth taken with a 5000mm lens from the planet Mars. The Earth should be in the top half of the frame, with the surface of mars in the bottom foreground. The Earth should be half illuminated by the sun** - Variations by <@859533282386247691> (fast)

powerlord_a_photo_of_the_planet_Earth_taken_with_a_5000mm_lens__ec12502d-3bb2-4d71-9d86-1989e2250a27.png.7104e26c71a7e649e77ce46f47ae8e6e.pngpowerlord_a_photo_of_the_planet_Earth_taken_with_a_5000mm_lens__15541cea-1c86-4f5e-af39-d6ee639def00.png.5e4f82f93bb61c9c5907b28195a719a0.png

• Like 1

I like that last one. I wonder if the inclusion of "from Mars" in the request is a bit of red herring! I wonder what it would show if you asked for a realistic photograph of Earth through a telescope of (insert configuration) taken from a distance of (insert distance). 

Ok @powerlord you have me hooked, I'll sign up and give it a go. I can see me using it for school work,  making up graphics for powerpoints/information posters. 

Jim  

3 minutes ago, saac said:

I like that last one. I wonder if the inclusion of "from Mars" in the request is a bit of red herring! I wonder what it would show if you asked for a realistic photograph of Earth through a telescope of (insert configuration) taken from a distance of (insert distance). 

Ok @powerlord you have me hooked, I'll sign up and give it a go. I can see me using it for school work,  making up graphics for powerpoints/information posters. 

Jim  

My mates use it for work power points, etc. And chatgpt too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powerlord said:

My mates use it for work power points, etc. And chatgpt too.

I'm suspecting that it will be good at producing infographics.  I find at work that it can be difficult to get the right image for supporting something without it being copyright protected.  In a way this is like having the services of a technical illustrator at hand. 

Jim 

the best ever astrophotographic picture of the Flying Squirrel Nebula in the SHO hubble palette

powerlord_the_best_ever_astrophotographic_picture_of_the_Flying_8367f313-16a5-40d4-b17f-d6f2c793cdb4.png.5155a16dcc7e50fd3fc1ee7ed314c8e4.png

I especially like the 'signature' it has put on them as those are clearly on most astrophotographs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, powerlord said:
the best ever astrophotographic picture of the Flying Squirrel Nebula in the SHO hubble palette

powerlord_the_best_ever_astrophotographic_picture_of_the_Flying_8367f313-16a5-40d4-b17f-d6f2c793cdb4.png.5155a16dcc7e50fd3fc1ee7ed314c8e4.png

I especially like the 'signature' it has put on them as those are clearly on most astrophotographs.

I love the top right version.

Mrs. Z often complains that the objects I show her look nothing like their names would suggest, constellations in particular.
I see a role for this tool in "making good" any discrepancy between an object's appearance and name. As well as inventing entirely new ones, of course.

strangely the same request to the new AI model (v5 just released 3 weeks ago), does not do so good - or at least.. it's er.. very different, though much higher resolution.

the best ever astrophotographic picture of the Flying Squirrel Nebula in the SHO hubble palette --v 5

powerlord_the_best_ever_astrophotographic_picture_of_the_Flying_5aab074c-33e7-4452-9903-2fdf364f07a7.thumb.png.9e8c411d64cf0da19dd8ace451e579df.png

• Like 2