Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mercury Setting? - I think!

Apologies for the terrible (understatement) quality of this video but it was totally unplanned and evolved as it went along.

I am hoping I have captured Mercury setting over the Lincolnshire Wolds but please tell me if I am mistaken.

ezgif.com-gif-maker-11.gif.60ee4eb17c8b20fae5c8d392b3ff2d03.gif

Captured with a Canon 6D + Samyang 135mm; I really need an intervalometer!

I just couldn't quite get Venus in the same frame as Mercury was setting.

If we get another clear sunset over the next couple of weeks I'll try again.

Adrian

• Like 3

Are you sure this is Mercury? As Venus would have also been around at the time I think higher up to the left there is a good chance it is Venus instead you captured. If this was Mercury I would expect Venus to appear in shot too when Mercury is down low. Venus would have been very obvious. There are some stars that appear near the end, but Venus would have been easily the brightest thing in shot. I was observing Mercury, Venus and Mars in twilight last night and could see Mercury through my binos only, however I do have a bungalow blocking my horizon where it would have set.

Edited by Knighty2112

18 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Are you sure this is Mercury? As Venus would have also been around at the time I think higher up to the left there is a good chance it is Venus instead you captured. If this was Mercury I would expect Venus to appear in shot too when Mercury is down low. Venus would have been very obvious. There are some stars that appear near the end, but Venus would have been easily the brightest thing in shot. I was observing Mercury, Venus and Mars in twilight last night and could see Mercury through my binos only, however I do have a bungalow blocking my horizon where it would have set.

Haha! Well I am certain it was not Venus as that was sitting higher in the sky (not to far away from M45) but just out of frame and was clearly the brightest object in the evening sky.

Adrian

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Haha! Well I am certain it was not Venus as that was sitting higher in the sky (not to far away from M45) but just out of frame and was clearly the brightest object in the evening sky.

Adrian

OK, it’s hard to judge the FOV with the video, but if Venus was higher up just out of view then looks like you got Mercury then. Well done! 

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

OK, it’s hard to judge the FOV with the video, but if Venus was higher up just out of view then looks like you got Mercury then. Well done! 

Thanks Gus. I tried using a 50mm lens but the view was mainly (upstairs, back) window frame! I then tried my Samyang 85m lens but much the same really. The 135mm was the best but as you say it is hard to judge. I was inspired to look by the AN article this month and didn't really expect to see anything to be honest. Mercury is apparently at its brightest right now but the brightness will decrease as the planet comes higher above the horizon, peaking on the 11th.

If it is clear later I shall have another go and try and pick up something that will define more precisely what I am looking at.

Thanks again.

Adrian