Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

VX10/Mons Wolf/Mons Ampere

jetstream

After a 400 mile round trip to go out for supper we arrived back home at 10:30 pm. The VX10 was sitting outside in the cold temps, -21c this morning but with a great clear sky. Seeing is vg now.

A quick view revealed the excellent seeing conditions and a quick upward cascade in eyepieces had the 2.5XO producing a vg sharp image at 480x. Back to the Zeiss 25.1-6.7 /VIP for a comfortable view and viewed up to around 350X with it. The Montes Apenninus immediately caught my attention and made me stay here to observe. The Mons Wolf has a very sharp jagged nook in it with the whole area over to Mons Ampere full of what looks like boulders, no doubt very large rock. There is a huge , finely detailed "boulder" field "south" of in between these two mountain peaks and is just full of detail. The 10" bring out so much more than my fracs. Whereas the fracs can offer level of a certain type of constrast better than this scope.

The Vx10 is vg , but at 25%+ obstruction I feel more could be had in a bit different set up. My 15" has better contrast and is approaching refractor like contrast at 22% plus the focuser baffle. I make sure with the VX10 that the focuser drawtube does not intrude into the light path... I just dont want the extra obstruction here and played around with things to ensure it doesnt happen.

That whole area of Montes Apenninus is a fantastic site and the sharp jagged side sure contrasts to the smooth but boulder filled "slide" on the other side.

This was a great ending to a fun day here.

Gerry

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 11

You have more stamina than I have Gerry! I love observing, but I'm not sure I'd be that enthusiastic after a 400 mile round trip for supper, then want to observe in -21°C temperatures. I think I'd be much more inclined to snuggle up under a blanket with a bonnie lass, in front of my log burner, sipping cocoa. So long as my wife doesn't catch me I'll be fine!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

You have more stamina than I have Gerry! I love observing, but I'm not sure I'd be that enthusiastic after a 400 mile round trip for supper, then want to observe in -21°C temperatures. I think I'd be much more inclined to snuggle up under a blanket with a bonnie lass, in front of my log burner, sipping cocoa. So long as my wife doesn't catch me I'll be fine!

Thanks Mike, I have a passion for astronomy and try not to miss any chance to obs, espc under great seeing. Right now we are getting big snowstorms around us and we have a winter storm warning, possibly severe. We love living out in the sticks, but also love the occasional trip to a city for dinner lol A favourite show is "Diners, Dives and Drive ins" a USA show that highlights small, off the beaten path restaurants with unusually good food.

Another hobby is cooking here, which we both love.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Mike, I have a passion for astronomy and try not to miss any chance to obs, espc under great seeing. Right now we are getting big snowstorms around us and we have a winter storm warning, possibly severe. We love living out in the sticks, but also love the occasional trip to a city for dinner lol A favourite show is "Diners, Dives and Drive ins" a USA show that highlights small, off the beaten path restaurants with unusually good food.

Another hobby is cooking here, which we both love.

Loving your new signature Gerry!  :biggrin:

• Haha 3