Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BBC's Sky at Night.

Grump Martian

On 22/03/2023 at 11:58, tomato said:

If SPM had been given unbroken access to clear skies we wouldn’t have got this TV gold moment back in 1961:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/cloud_disrupts_sky_at_night_50th/zrg8wty

When I come in early from a session, my catchphrase to the Mrs. is “totally obscured Patrick” 😉

I was fifty-three days young :binkybaby: when that episode of S@N was broadcast. I don’t recall myself or remember or watching it! :evil62:

Edited by Philip R
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, stafford_stargazer said:

I think Astrobiscuit on YouTube is by far the most engaging programme to watch.. in fact he'd be great on TV.. genuine enthusiasm he really knows how to capture your attention.

Wonder what part of the country astro biscuit lives. It looks like London, but never sure. He does seem to be plagued with light pollution. I liked his video going to the countryside with his binoculars.

52 minutes ago, Grump Martian said:

Wonder what part of the country astro biscuit lives. It looks like London, but never sure. He does seem to be plagued with light pollution. I liked his video going to the countryside with his binoculars.

I really liked his early YT vids,  ... the funniest when he blurted out the cost of a scope and his wife heard . Priceless ... and something we all fear lol 

Actually , on a serious note .. his stuff was so engaging for people just entering the hobby and showed that astronomy doesnt have to be expensive .... where did i go wrong ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I really liked his early YT vids,  ... the funniest when he blurted out the cost of a scope and his wife heard . Priceless ... and something we all fear lol 

Actually , on a serious note .. his stuff was so engaging for people just entering the hobby and showed that astronomy doesnt have to be expensive .... where did i go wrong ?

That was an absolute peach of an episode... and then he interviews Damian Peach too in another episode.      

I like the Sky at Night episodes when they go and speak to amatuer astronomers.  It's really fascinating hearing people talk about their setups and their process and why they are doing it.

Don't get me wrong, I like all the exciting cutting edge science bits, but I like my science docs 45 minutes long and with an orchestral sound track (that isn't deafeningly loud).

Mark Radice on Refreshing Views on yourube goes a long way to capturing my favourite bits of Sky at Night.

https://youtube.com/@RefreshingViews

• Like 1