Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Zealand Observing

lguise

Not sure if this is the best place to put this.

Just wondering if anyone has done any observing in NZ? My wife and I are hoping to make a trip out there next year. Just wondering if anyone has visited any observatories or made links with any local societies for observing that sort of thing. Main reason for the trip would be getting to see some of the highlights of the Southern sky from some dark sites and what I gather is fantastic scenary.

If you can suggest any unmissable places to visit or any information that could help our plans. Thinking of 3 or 4 weeks probably in a camper or car

Many thanks in advance

Linton

Hi Linton,

I've done some limited observing with a very bad telescope from my house in NZ, a nice dark rural location in the Wairarapa. There's quite a view astro societies and clubs around. I've only been to one in the Wairarapa which was very friendly, they have talks and observation sessions each month depending on the weather. MoonDog has been to one in Nelson in the South Island.

To get to the dark sites it's going to be best to stay clear of the main centres and head to the least populated parts of the country (which is most of it:)). The best provinces for chances of clear skies and least light pollution are going to be on the east coast of both islands, Canterbury, Marlborough, Wairarapa, Hawkes Bay. In the centre of the South Island there's some amazingly dark skies, the MacKenzie basin and the surrounding high country.

here's some kiwi astro links:

Royal Astronomical Society of New Zealand

AstronomyNZ - Home

Stardome Observatory - Home page

Gifford Observatory Home Page

Unmissable places:

South Island:

The south island is the biggest island it takes about 13 hours to drive it's length non stop. The island has about 800,000 people so traffic and crowds are not going to be a problem. Here's what I reckon are the best places (being originally a South Islander I'm going to be a little biased:))

the area around Wanaka and Queenstown

MacKenzie Basin (stunning scenery)

Marlborough Sounds

Banks Peninsula and Christchurch (home of the greatest rugby team on the planet)

State Highway 73 from Christchurch to Greymouth is an awesome drive through the mountains.

Lake Rotoiti and Lake Rotoroa area on SH6 is great as well.

Kaikoura is another great spot and if you like a glass of wine then keep going north into the Wairau Valley and Blenheim where there's more wineries than sheep!

North Island:

The North Island is where most kiwis live, 3.2 million concentrated mostly around Auckland and a smaller concentration around Wellington. The North Island is not quite as big as the South Island but it still takes 13 hours to drive from Wellington to Kaitaia. I reckon the best places to see are:

Wellington, great compact city.

The rugged East Coast beaches, Castlepoint, Riversdale (you can have a whole beach to yourselves)

The Volcanic plateau and Lake Taupo

Napier is great too.

Bay of Islands and Northland are very pretty.

Great Beaches at Matauri Bay and Mangawai Heads among others.

Travelling around:

The open road speed limit is 100km/h and it's enforced with quite stiff penalties. The speed limit in towns is 50km/h and it's also strictly enforced. There's hidden speed cameras all over the place. Contrary to popular belief NZ is not crime free so travel safely and be away of you surrondings and overnight in camping grounds etc where there are facilities and other people.

The weather is an important consideration, it's a mountainous country and the weather is changeable. The West coast is normally wetter and the East coast is normally dry and windy. Depending on the season there can be quite nasty southerly storms that roll in off the southern ocean. If you go in summer be aware of the sun, it's hot and you will burn in it. Burn times are often less than 10mins in the middle of the day so cover up and take plenty of sunblock. If you're driving a camper van around be careful when it's windy. In some weather conditions the wind speed will often be over 120km/h and gusting higher which can make driving very interesting!

hope that helps!:)

Sam

Sam,

Thanks so much for taking the time to pass on some great information. I have started to folllow the web links and am planning things out with a large map of the country. Really looking forward to it.

Best wishes,

Linton & Yvette

Hi Linton,

If you are on the South Island and you have the time, this place looks worth a visit:

Welcome to Earth and Sky - Lake Tekapo, New Zealand

I only learned of it because a friend of mine has recently moved out there with his family and works at this centre. You may have heard of him yourself - Ade Ashford - he was an astro equipment reviewer in magazines such as Astronomy Now and The Sky at Night and was part of the Sky & Telescope team in the past as well.

He certainly has good taste in where to re-locate to judging by the photos of the Earth & Sky Observatory and it's situation !.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Just come across this topic Linton.

I was at Lake Tekapo in March and visited the Earth & Sky Obs (Mt John) twice.

We used Tekapo as a convenient stop between Christchurch and Queenstown. They're a friendly bunch there and the night-time tour of the obs is memorable, better if there is not too much moon- (it was full moon when I was there!)

The skies generally are much darker down there than in the UK as LP is confined to the smaller developed areas. Sam's advice was very good esp. the bit about speed limits!

Regards

Mark

post-13671-133877372276_thumb.jpg

Archived