Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Difference between 300 Quanttro and 300 Black Diamond OTAs ?

Hi,  i was looking at going with either a Skywatcher 12" Quanttro or a 12" Black Diamond OTA for DSO imaging,  mainly looking at imaging Galaxies.

I was interested to know if anyone has had one or these and also what the difference is imaging wise between the two?

I know the Quanttro if f4 and FL of 120mm while the Black Diamond is f4.8 and FL of 1500mm

But is one better suited to DSO Astrophotography than the other?

I currently have a Skywatcher Esprit 150 with a .77 reducer that i image Nebular with,  but looking for a bit larger focal length and aperture for galaxies.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

First aperture does nothing for the size of the target, it will be brighter thou.. FL gives the object size in the fov not aperture 

This shows  what you have now to the quattro

So the green box with the .77 reducer in place

The red by taking it out and using it at it's native 1050 FL

And the yellow with the 12 inch quattro 

For me not enough to warrant the extra expense, plus you would need a fairly decent mount to throw 12 inch X 1200 around, presume you have that...

I've based it on the default camera in astronomy tools fov as you didn't say what camera you use

Screenshot_20230228-070334.png.7fdfcbabac236c6e4cefdeed2f29c3e0.png

As a add on the newt style scope has a bigger central obstruction , where as the esprit doesn't have any, I'm sure there's a calculation out there to show the difference in brightness...

If you want more reach for the smaller galaxies etc I'd look at the Rc or sct design 

I have a SW 200PDS, 200mm aperture and 1000mm focal lenght. I've run out of galaxies already in my second season, they just become to small. You have only a handful suited for this focal lenght. I'd say 1200mm focal lenght is to short, if you decide on a pure reflector, go for the 1500mm. Personally I'm considering this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-telescopes/stellalyra-8-f8-m-lrs-ritchey-chrtien-telescope-ota.html

Focal lenght of 1600mm, and a weight that makes me able to keep my HEQ5 mount.

Edited by Rallemikken

Appreciate the replies,

Sorry,  i didn't add in my equipment,  I was mainly looking for advise on these two OTAs.

But great advise already,  looks like i may be looking at this all wrong.

The camera that i am currently imaging with is a asi2600MC as i like to stay with the one shot color cameras.

Mount is no issue,  i am using a iOptron CEM120

I was originally looking at the reflectors since they are pretty much a Dobsonian and easy to collimate

I was looking at  something like the Skywatcher 180/2700,  although it is mainly designed for planetary imaging,  it may be a good choice for Galaxies?

But the long focal length may be too much for this?

Silly question,  are there dedicated Rc or sct designs for DSO imaging in particular or should i be really just trying to limit the focal length to a certain point?

Edited by bluesilver

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Difference between 300 Quanttro and 300 Black Diamond OTAs ?
3 hours ago, bluesilver said:

Hi,  i was looking at going with either a Skywatcher 12" Quanttro or a 12" Black Diamond OTA for DSO imaging,  mainly looking at imaging Galaxies.

I was interested to know if anyone has had one or these and also what the difference is imaging wise between the two?

I know the Quanttro if f4 and FL of 120mm while the Black Diamond is f4.8 and FL of 1500mm

But is one better suited to DSO Astrophotography than the other?

They'll both get the job done, consider the one that better suits your current camera and gives you the resolution you're looking for. I'd imagine the quattro has a larger secondary for better sensor ilumination (worth checking).

The longer Black Diamond scope will be even more susceptible to wind; I assume you have an obsevatory, obviously check they both fit.

You need to consider your pixel scale too. Depending on your seeing locally it will limit your resolution. I have an RC8 which gives something like 0.7"/px with a 2600. So, unless you have exceptional skies, you will almost certainly be binning your data. I have an 800mm triplet and an RC8 - once you crop out the surrounding sky, both systems produce very similar results in terms of resolution.

Below are two images taken with the RC8 and the 115mm triplet. Ignore the colour, but in terms of resolution there is very little difference.

NGC2903 ST1 AP1.jpg

NGC2903-RGB ST1 AP1 Crop.jpg

Edited by Clarkey
Photos added

Appreciate all the replies and advice.

I do have a observatory,  so portability is no issue,  sorry for missing this out also.

I might have to look into the GSO RC8,  

Smaller aperture,  but slightly longer focal length.

Astronomy.tools shows quiet a bit of difference in the field of view, Quattro vs the RC 8

Dose the actual aperture make that much of a difference imaging wise?  200mm vs 300mm

Edited by bluesilver