SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

12.5mm illuminated reticle eyepiece.

Moonshed

I purchased the above a couple of years ago to plug into my flip mirror box. It has been such a great aid so now it’s stopped working I need to replace it. I thought I could just buy the illuminate part that screws into the eyepiece but it appears that I need to purchase the whole thing again, which seems to me to be a bit of a waste.

Am I right in thinking the two parts are not sold separately? I have looked in so many places but have made no progress, it appears I have to buy the eyepiece as well.

First of all, they are sold separately. I did a quick google for illuminator for eyepieces and this was one of the first hits:

https://www.stellarvue.com/ei002-illuminator/

Have you replaced the battery of the illuminator? Is it really broken or is the battery just flat? These illuminators usually can be opened by unscrewing one half, exposing one or two small batteries inside.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

First of all, they are sold separately. I did a quick google for illuminator for eyepieces and this was one of the first hits:

Have you replaced the battery of the illuminator? Is it really broken or is the battery just flat? These illuminators usually can be opened by unscrewing one half, exposing one or two small batteries inside.

Thanks for the info, I don’t know why I couldn’t find anything on it. The illuminator is well and truly broken. I first unscrewed the battery compartment but nothing wrong there and in fact until it started playing up the LED was very bright when working, I then unscrewed the top half and it lifted it out trailing a broken wire. It could probably be soldered back but that is not something I can do.

I will check out the link you gave me. Thanks again.

Over the past 30 years of using guiding eyepieces equiped with these illuminators I've found them to fail fairly regularly; I've got 2 broken ones and a third that is intermittent...it only works if the two halves are unscrewed a fraction of a turn. They might almost be considered a disposable item. I've seen several guiding eyepieces for sale on ABS "illuminator missing" which probably tells you all you need to know on build quality.

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Unfortunately it transpires that stellarvue, an American company, do not accept payment from foreign banks and the process for making payment really isn’t worth the hassle. Thanks anyway.

34 minutes ago, rl said:

Over the past 30 years of using guiding eyepieces equiped with these illuminators I've found them to fail fairly regularly; I've got 2 broken ones and a third that is intermittent...it only works if the two halves are unscrewed a fraction of a turn. They might almost be considered a disposable item. I've seen several guiding eyepieces for sale on ABS "illuminator missing" which probably tells you all you need to know on build quality.

Point taken. That’s how mine first started to go wrong, I would need to fine tune the brightness  knob to get it to work, or not. Very poor design and/or workmanship.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Avoid the illuminators that have the fat back end.  I've had nothing but problems with the switch desoldering from the wiring.

I've had much better luck with the slim, straight style illuminators found on Celestron eyepieces.

spacer.png

I have the one that you show in the picture and the wire has come away from the contact due to poor soldering.

19 hours ago, Moonshed said:

I purchased the above a couple of years ago to plug into my flip mirror box. It has been such a great aid so now it’s stopped working I need to replace it. I thought I could just buy the illuminate part that screws into the eyepiece but it appears that I need to purchase the whole thing again, which seems to me to be a bit of a waste.

Am I right in thinking the two parts are not sold separately? I have looked in so many places but have made no progress, it appears I have to buy the eyepiece as well.

The Widescreen Centre , which I think is not too far from you, sell this eyepiece and illuminated reticle, both of which can be purchased separately.

I have one of these, and touchwood not experienced any problems, changed batteries (LR44 I think) a few times

TS-Optics 23mm 1.25" Illuminated Crosshair Eyepiece - Widescreen Centre (widescreen-centre.co.uk)

John 

Edited by johnturley

9 hours ago, johnturley said:

The Widescreen Centre , which I think is not too far from you, sell this eyepiece and illuminated reticle, both of which can be purchased separately.

I have one of these, and touchwood not experienced any problems, changed batteries (LR44 I think) a few times

TS-Optics 23mm 1.25" Illuminated Crosshair Eyepiece - Widescreen Centre (widescreen-centre.co.uk)

John 

Hi John, 

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Keith