SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ-EQ6 Pro firmware (Solved)

Neil Wilson

Long story short.

I decided to upgrade the firmware in my AZ-EQ6 Pro (non USB) to the latest version (2.15) after my mount went the wrong way during a Meridian Flip. Everything went OK, but now I can no longer communicate with the mount using their SynScan app. Interestingly, the handset still works and the 'Motor Controller Firmware Loader' can read the current version installed. 

I have emailed Skywatcher, but they have been less than helpful.

Does anyone have an older version of the firmware that I can try?

My mount is several years old, so I have included a picture of the main PCB if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

20230207_072553.jpg

20230207_203221.jpg

20230207_203243.jpg

20230207_203255.jpg

20230207_203429.jpg

2 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Latest syncan app? Does the wifi dongle need updating?

Hi Anthony, 

I don't use a WiFi dongle. I connect using a USB to RJ45 cable. Downloaded the latest Synscan app with no joy.

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Have you got an eqmod cable to use instead of via the handset?

That's been my solution before when wifi firmware updates have failed.

Hi StevieDvd

That's my preferred method of connection. I been using a USB eqmod cable for years.

• Neil Wilson changed the title to AZ-EQ6 Pro firmware (Solved)
  • 3 months later...

Hello.

I'm having just the exact same issue but with an EQ8 PRO.

Thanks to your EQ6 download link I have guessed that for the EQ8 the 2.11 file is:

https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/downloads/eq8_motor_controller_v0211.zip

But... how could we know from Sky-watcher what the problem with 2.15 is? Anyone knows something? Why do they keep 2.15 versions on their web without knowing that they break the SynScan app communication?

Regards.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again.

It turns out that SkyWatcher engineers noticed the problem, which is that the recent firmware version allows to change the serial connection baudrate on-the-fly.

At start SynScan app requests the change to a higher baud rate for the RA axis, but not for the DEC axis, and then it "talks" to both axis at the higher baud rate, with DEC axis being unable to understand.

The SynScan app published today (version 2.3.8) solves the issue, and should work with latest firmwares for all mounts.

Regards.

• Thanks 2