Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Chat GPT is this accurate advice

Rustyspurs

16 minutes ago, Ags said:

Chat GPT has the most information but can it use it? Just because I bought the biggest toolbox in the world doesn't mean I am the best at DIY! 

Agreed, but that is not what is being compared. In terms of searching and presenting relevant content It seems to be yes and I'd think that they will have the edge over a person doing a similar task. So yes, the basic search part of these algorithms seems to be pretty robust now.  It will be interesting to watch how the self-learning part develops. 

Jim 

One interesting test was done with it and published here ..

https://astronomy.com/news/2022/12/we-asked-chatgpt-your-questions-about-astronomy-it-didnt-go-so-well

The trouble is, what it gives back sounds like it's quite correct and very confident about what it returns, but it's very deceptive. You really have to not take what it says at face value. 

1 hour ago, saac said:

Agreed, but that is not what is being compared. In terms of searching and presenting relevant content It seems to be yes and I'd think that they will have the edge over a person doing a similar task. So yes, the basic search part of these algorithms seems to be pretty robust now.  It will be interesting to watch how the self-learning part develops. 

Jim 

No, not at all. As a heavy and happy user of Chat GPT I have to stress it just makes stuff up. For example when asking it to explain certain APIs, it just invents the features I'm looking for. They're great features, exactly what I need, but they don't exist.

Interacting with Chat GPT is fun, like your own personal Star Trek computer, and it is a strong writer - something I particularly appreciate as a lone tech writer - but it does not do facts and it is a worse option than judicious and critical use of a normal search engine.

Edited by Ags
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ags said:

No, not at all. As a heavy and happy user of Chat GPT I have to stress it just makes stuff up. For example when asking it to explain certain APIs, it just invents the features I'm looking for. They're great features, exactly what I need, but they don't exist.

Interacting with Chat GPT is fun, like your own personal Star Trek computer, and it is a strong writer - something I particularly appreciate as a lone tech writer - but it does not do facts and it is a worse option than judicious and critical use of a normal search engine.

Must admit I haven't found that to the same extent Ags. I've uploaded several past exam paper questions (high school physics mainly) and it handles these very competently. Other, more general knowledge type  questions it handles well too. I particularly like the ability to modify a question once it has given its first response - it really emulates a conversation. Sure there will be errors - it is learning, is that not the whole point of this release? There is opportunity in the UI to provide feedback to improve its performance. So far,  I'm quite impressed and yes I agree it has a fun user experience unlike say Google. These things are only going to get better. 

Jim 

15 minutes ago, saac said:

I've uploaded several past exam paper questions (high school physics mainly) and it handles these very competently.

I read the other day it passed a mock US Bar exam. 

28 minutes ago, EarthLife said:

Yes your right Ags, it shouldn't be used to search for facts that you need to be correct, it's a language A.I bot, not a source of factual information.

Why should it not be used to search for facts? 

When I asked it "what is the rest mass of an electron to 3 significant figures" it replied "The rest mass of an electron is 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms to three significant figures.

Nothing wrong with that!  At the end of the day it is just drawing from a database in the same way as say Google would.   

I asked "when was the declaration of Arbroath signed" it and Google both replied correctly April 6 1320.

Jim 

3 minutes ago, Ags said:

I read the other day it passed a mock US Bar exam. 

Not surprised.😀 I haven't yet uploaded a full exam paper, something to do when I have some down time but from what I have seen so far it would ace it. Even the way it handles the more narrative "open" style questions, where an opinion is sought, it does surprisingly well !

Jim 

One most obvious limitations it has at the moment is that it cannot provide a link to a third party reference document. So for example if I ask it for a link to the workshop manual for a 1967 mgb roadster it draws a blank .  I would imagine that this is something that the tie up with MS will improve on. 

Jim