Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two Sessions, two Newts & Various Minor First Lights: 25th January 2023

Captain Scarlet

The last observing session I’ve had worthy of its own report was back in August! The weather last Autumn and this winter has been terrible. But I haven’t been lazy. In that time I’ve managed to fettle quite a lot of things to improve my scopes. So last night’s two sessions amounted to First Light for a variety of modifications: I’ve replaced the 63mm secondary on my Orion/Helmerichs 8” newt, taking its CO down from 32% to 25%; I fitted a brand new Orion primary cell to replace the old Skywatcher 300p cell which I’d bolted to the end of a Helmerichs tube; in that process I turned the tube completely back to front and re-did the entire geometry of the scope to reduce to a practical minimum the out-focus point (100mm from the outside of the tube); I flocked all the important areas of the same 300mm scope; I “re-findered” both scopes to lose the Telrads (mention the word ‘dew’ and it’s fogged up, even in the Kalahari I’m sure) and to accept SkySurfer Vs, with extra capacity for finder-scopes too, if necessary.

The forecast had been that it’d be clear last night for nearly a week ahead, and stayed constant, so I was confident enough to get both Newtonians out, the 200 and the 300. I’d planned to observe Jupiter, Mars and the 20% Moon starting at twilight using my new high-contrast low-CO 8”, then have dinner and move on to the 12” for the longer night session. I put the OH200 onto a Skytee2/Berlebach Uni and the OH300 onto my AZ-EQ6/Planet controlled by Nexus DSC.

IMG_1412.thumb.jpg.6656a40330a483602cafa896fdd6865c.jpg

There has been a staggering amount of rain even for here (Ireland!) the last few months, almost certainly a result of the 1-month hosepipe ban we had in August, and I was convinced this night’s session would be affected or terminated by dew. In the event, it wasn’t, I was pleasantly surprised.

My plan for the night’s session was simple: Orion and Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF).

The twilight session was essentially a waste of time. Seeing was appalling. Venus not unexpectedly, being so low, was a kaleidoscope. Jupiter was mostly a wobbly mush. Only fleetingly did anything other than the two main belts appear, at either 100x or 167x (Delos 10 and 6). Luna was more interesting, having more large-scale structure but everything was nonetheless shimmering all over the place. Mars showed hints of different shades but was also soft and lacking any clarity. Oh well, next time.

Dinner happened, and I resumed around 2030 with the OH300. It was immediately evident seeing was much better, though still far from what I’d call “good”. Transparency was poor too. The Milky Way would normally be quite stark and even readily discernible threading past Orion and Betelguese. Last night it wasn’t evident anywhere, at least not until much later on. Nevertheless I pressed on, and started off at M42. That seeing was better was shown immediately by my ability to see the E and F stars in the Trapezium, though they were coming and going. The surrounding nebulosity was less impressive, though.

IMG_1415.thumb.jpg.22dc369d5ac35bcfbf4e36b251cfc6ec.jpg

I moved on to Sigma Orionis, where the faint fourth C star again was easily seen. It was odd. This system of stars, in good seeing and through a fine scope, can be achingly beautiful: an arrangement of fine pinpoints. Though tonight I could see the faint one rather easily, it wasn’t what I’d call a beautiful sight. The brighter stars were a bit wobbly and not pinpoint even though everything was on view. Widening out the view to include the extra stars to the West made the point. It just wasn’t “refractor-like”, though I have had lovely such views through this scope before. It was just the seeing. Trapezium similarly.

I went to Rigel, which I couldn’t split earlier through the 8”, and yes I split it easily Rigel was not pleasingly tight. But in contrast, Sirius wasn’t wobbling too much. Perhaps it was damped by the milky veil of cloud, but although I tried for the Pup, there was no sign. Alnitak similarly was readily split.

By now the transparency was looking better. My naked eye could see stars within Orion apart from the main ones and Sigma Orionis, so I took a break from that area and tapped in M1 (Crab Nebula). I can’t recall having observed M1 through a telescope before. I’ve _detected_ it a few times with 10x50 and 15x56 binoculars, and it was a slightly enhanced version of that which I was expecting through this 12”. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a vivid brightish patch with hints of structure. My first “pleased” observation this night!

Looking over my shoulder to the North-ish, I noticed that the thin cloud had disappeared from there too. I was ready for the Comet. Knowing it was close to RR Umi, first with 15x56 binoculars I found it immediately. As others have said, rather like an unresolved version of M13. I put in the Nagler 31 to my scope giving me my minimum 59x magnification and again found it readily. It’s a largeish object, and I suspect even 59x is on the high side for such an extended object. All I got was a bright core, not unlike say M31. The overall view I found was more satisfying through the binoculars. Later on, as I was packing up, I brought out my Zeiss 8x56s, and the impression was, I felt, even better. Definite colour (greenish, obviously) and some shape, and roughly triangular wide fan. Also, by that time I could see it naked eye too, likely helped by the fact it was close to RR Umi which is itself part of a “mini-Hyades” sideways V-shape, the whole clearly making for quite a bright patch in that area. I was pleased with that, my first Comet since Neowise.

I’ve run ahead too far. After the first Comet viewings, I returned to Orion and now the nebulosity around M42 was lovely (still at minimum mag with Nag31). E and F were better too. Emboldened, I went to the Flame Nebula. No chance. I couldn’t be bothered to go inside and get my filters so I let it be. I was ready for some doubles, though. I started with Meissa, a favourite which I discovered as double without knowing in advance. I decided to use a feature I like about the Nexus DSC: its “Tour” function. From its 50-odd catalogues I selected just Planetaries and Struve Doubles, and an area within 4 degrees of current position.

It came up with 30 such objects, and I slewed to each in turn. I had my Delos 10 in giving me 183x. These included NGC 2022, a bright PN. I should have upped the magnification and donned a filter, its brightness seemed to warrant it. But I did neither: another time. Besides, I’d decided that NGC 2022 was so Last Year and moved on.

I went through a succession of doubles none of whose names I can remember, but I do recall thinking my limiting magnitude this night with this scope seems to be about 11-12. Any stars fainter than about 11.5 I just could not see. Most of the doubles were faint but I could see colour in almost all of them, even the dim ones. I’ve not _systematically_ done doubles before, aside from some favourites, but I plan to, and to find a way of recording what I’ve seen (“Do you use a Dictaphone?” “No, darling, just a normal telephone like everyone else” [sorry]).

Not the most sensational of nights, but certainly worth having, especially after nearly 4 months of prohibitive weather. The first session was not a proper test of my new low-Central Obstruction 8”, so I look forward to that. I noted Leo rising and am excited to anticipate the Leo/Coma galaxy season coming on! And, or course, not least, the imminent arrival of my new 140mm Stellarvue refractor.

Thanks for getting this far,

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 7

(first image) I could just hear David Attenborough saying "the wild and nocturnal newts await sundown in their natural habitats" 🤣 

I would have loved to have a peek at M42 as you described the nebulosity being lovely, in such a large newt.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

(first image) I could just hear David Attenborough saying "the wild and nocturnal newts await sundown in their natural habitats" 🤣 

I would have loved to h;ave a peek at M42 as you described the nebulosity being lovely, in such a large newt.

I was thinking more along the lines of one of my favourite films, Aliens: "Locked and loaded, covering all approaches" :)

• Haha 1