NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is this what is referred to as the quality of the seeing?

Hi everyone, got about 500mbs worth of avi capture of the moon over the weekend and with very limited success have managed to get a couple of half decent pictures (I am using 250px, 2x barlow and 20mm QX ep).

I've tried unsucessfully to upload clips of the avi here so I've put a link in to youtube

This was taken about 20:00hrs. My question is - would the shimmering which I think is the quality of the 'seeing' improve waiting till later on in the night. The next target I was thinking of was Saturn, but if its going to shimmer like this don't anticipate much success.

Your 10" reflector needs time to cool down. You can hurry things up with a fan blowing air on to the back of the mirror. Even a cooled down scope, in thermal equilibrium, is susceptible to atmospheric events happening kilometers above your head. In the UK, we just have to wait until we get lucky, a handful of times a year. We need established high pressure, low winds, a gentle temperature gradient and a slow jet stream. There's also local conditions to consider as well, such as house roofs giving off heat, boilers venting, etc etc

Keith,

A very good video!

How did you configure the x2 barlow and the 20mm eyepiece, also what is a S5700 camera??

Edit: found it - Fuji Finepix S5700 fixed lens, OK, so you used an afocal arrangement??

Hi Merlin66, yes its a fujifilm s5700. I've finally got one of those camera adapters with a T thread and 3 nylon screws around a ring perimeter that fits onto most eyepeices after you remove the rubber eyeshield.

Many thanks for all the compliments everyone, I have another 490mb or so if anyone is interested. I tried keeping the dob on one feature but gave up after a while, might try again after slackening the clamps off a little.

Themos, I had the scope out for 2hrs before I started, but that's a good idea. I have some computer case fans lying around I think I might adapt one of those to fit, but be careful isolating it properly so I don't get vibrations.

Determined to have a go at Saturn over the weekend I'll let you know how it goes.

Archived